Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slabbing gun

• 13-07-2006 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I’m gonna be starting slabbing on my extension in a few weeks and want to get setup so I can do the slabbing with the minimum of hassle. I screw my slabs as for me it’s a far better job and you don’t get any popped nails.

I have the slabbing bit for my cordless screwgun but the slowest bit is always taking the screws out of the pouch and putting them on the end of the bit. I think of heard of a gun that automatically loads the slab screws (I’m using 40mm screws). Does anyone know the proper name for these, and are they any good? I’d look into either buying one or hiring it if it sounds like it’ll do what I’m hoping it will (i.e. mean I can hold the slab with one hand and not have to worry about loading screws onto the bit).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

i got a lend of one from a mate when I was doing my extension two months ago and to be honest it was quick but i didn't like it at all - very noisy, not as much control over the torque as my cordless with the result that some screws wouldn't go home fully whereas others drove in too far and cut through the paper on the slab. i went back to using my cordless - just took a hanful of screws out at a time and away i went !

the one i got from my mate was like this -
    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Automatic%20Screwdrivers&product=25497

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SENCO-DURASPIN-DS275-18V-SCREWGUN-DRILL-BEATS-DEWALT_W0QQitemZ280004877151QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20792QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

This might be what you are after. I'd suggest you hire one out for a day first to make sure you are happy with it before buying. I know a lot of guys dont like using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

thanks lads - can see how it might be awkward to use alright. Will rent one and see what I make of it.

Do they require special screws preloaded onto strips or can you take your own screws and put them onto the loading strip?

You need to use the pre laoded strips. You can get them in the hire shops as sale or return when you hire the gun. Where are you based? Not all hire shops will have the screws to suit you in stock and might have to order them in.

I'm in Crumlin and know the lads in the hire shop so will get onto them about it, but hire shops are normally very pricey for consumables, so that might be another strike against it.

• Advertisement

I bought screws for the Senco before in Dublin at The Fixing Company (Coolemine Ind Est, Blanchardstown). 3.5mm x 35/45 were €12 plus vat for 1000. If your hire shop dosent have the gun, Mac Rental in Ballymount have them.

nice one for that squire1 - if they try charge me much more than that I'll tell em to stick it and should get them down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

rented one last sat for the ceiling in an ext.,

to be honest - proper slabbing nails would have been better.

we used both and half way just used nails.

I would think the auto-load nail guns are for timber frame houses where the boards just fit perfect every time.

will not be renting again - proper slabbing nails will not pop.
    they have ridges along the shank - will not come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you use a Collated screw gun they should have a setting that automatically stops the drive when the right depth is achieved, I have a Senco 110v and it is fantastic you can fit a board in less than half the time it takes to manually screw, or nail, and the other bonus is that you will not be tempted to skimp on the screws, 12 per sheet should be ok for a 8'x4' board any less and you will risk the board tearing through the fixings with movement, you won't notice now but in time underfixed boards will pop.
    Nails are dead just one hit wrong and you have dented the board and damaged the core, regardless of whether you use ringshank or not nails are just a waste of time in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

CJhaughey wrote:
    If you use a Collated screw gun they should have a setting that automatically stops the drive when the right depth is achieved, I have a Senco 110v and it is fantastic you can fit a board in less than half the time it takes to manually screw, or nail, and the other bonus is that you will not be tempted to skimp on the screws, 12 per sheet should be ok for a 8'x4' board any less and you will risk the board tearing through the fixings with movement, you won't notice now but in time underfixed boards will pop.
    Nails are dead just one hit wrong and you have dented the board and damaged the core, regardless of whether you use ringshank or not nails are just a waste of time in my view.

did you say 12 screws per sheet ? when i did mine i put in about 45 per 8*4 sheet - i couldn't see the 12 would even hold the slabs weight on the ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ifah
    You are correct 12 screws won't hold the boards on the ceiling.
    I was actually thinking walls when I was talking 12 and I also double slabbed, so the first board was 12 screws then the outside board was spaced at 200mm.
    Ceilings were put up with as many as I thought were needed probably every 150-200m or so.
    I have 4x1 battens at 300mm centres on the ceiling between the joists and slab, makes the job easy with plenty of leeway for screwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pmac086

Hi Guys , just looking in and see the thread.
    For my tuppance !!
    I use a Senco 14.4 gun which you can preset the depth guide so that when the screw hits flush the bit stops spinning, fab piece of kit and comes with belt hook, screws are fed on a strip and it pulls the board tight as you work along, nails are a no go as a year after fitting the plaster will pop if the boards are not tight.
    Spacing the screws should be 6" to 8" ( I use 6") so an 8 x 4 board with 600 supports will take 80 screws, ( definitly wont be employing the guy who does it with 12 !!!! )
    Pick up a good gun on EBay for 100 nikker use it and sell it again as they dont fall from this value.
    GLuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This thread is yonks old pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pmac086

Yar Fred, but you found it , delighted not to leave it with the idea that nails are better then screws and 8x4 boarde can be put up with 12 Screws.
    Gosh, maybe it will start up again::D

Advertisement