Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrist Sprain?

Options
  • 13-07-2006 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a pretty nasty fall off a skateboard 2 weeks ago and sprained my wrist quite badly (there was a lot of swelling on the back of my hand).

Now my wrist seems to be ok, i have full movement but when i put pressure on it (e.g a push up) it feels really weak and is very painful. I've checked my scaphoid by pushing between those tendons by my thumb and it seems to be fine. There does seem to be some pain (but not a lot) if i press the area just below the ball of my wrist - could this be a damaged tendon? There is also some pain at the bottom of the palm of my hand, it feels like there is a lump under the skin if I push on it.

Has anyone had anything similar to this? Any idea how long it could take to heal? It's really annoying cos I just got my new surfboard right before it happened and now I can't go surfing.. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

I just saw this on healthsquare.com;
    A wrist injury can involve either a sprain or a strain. Sprains result from suddenly stretching or tearing the ligaments that hold the bones together. A strain is an injury to the muscles or the tendons that connect the muscles to the bones. In most cases, either type of injury will take about 6 to 8 weeks to heal.

Aaaargh! :eek:
    Somebody tell me they're lying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

nah i wouldnt say that long. just strap it up and skate

Well I've been skating ever since. It the surfing I'm worried about. I can't pop-up and I'm pretty useless at paddling with my right hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Spastafarian, go to a fkin doctor. This isnt a health board. I know from alot of previous experience that those falls can bear worse fruit if left unchecked. Put it this way, i dislocated my thumb, popped it back in, all was good, untill anytime i have a bad enough fall it dislocates itsself. i fell on my elbow, the hinge joint went inside out, and popped back into place. I got a scare, i ignored it, went on my merry way. Now i have a problem with cartilage or something in the elbow that pops and gives my whole arm shock for a minute if i lean on it.

Wrists are the most delicate part of your bone structure from what i know. A wrist fracture in anyway can take 2x what a straight arm break can take. Get it looked at by a pro, stop posting it to people who more than likely havnt a clue about this stuff.

I know it a sprain. I've sprained my wrist loads of times before, just haven't had a torn tendon.

The extreme sports forum seems like the most likely place that people would have sprained a wrist while skating and who also surf. I'm just asking how long it took them to heal well enough to surf again - Not how long it will take me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

red_ice wrote:
    Put it this way, i dislocated my thumb, popped it back in, all was good, untill anytime i have a bad enough fall it dislocates itsself.

oh so familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I tore cartilage in my knee about 3 to 4 years ago. Out of work and on crutches for about 6 weeks, luckily my boss is cool and payed me when i was out! You should definately go to the doc. If you dont get it sorted it'll keep rearing its ugly head every time you slam on it!!! Plus they'll give you phisio to help strenghten it and stop it reaccuring.
    Also nurses rock!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

u have to get payed when ur out injured....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Give it a two week break no surfing or skateing and then start building it up again slowly. Get a stress ball and squeez it in your hand, this should build up the muscles again which is probably the cause of some of the discomfort since you havent really been using the muscles in your wrist and hand because of the sprain.

I do this kinda stuff to myself the whole time and your best getting a break for a little while and its worth it in the long run. You can either keep skating and trying to surf but badly and take ages to recover or take a week or two out and then get better quicker. You have to learn just to pace yourself and remember your not gonna be at 100% straight away.

Advertisement