Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious delay - Transfer Broadband

Options
  • 13-07-2006 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm seriously p***ed off with this now. Almost a month ago we moved house and submitted a Broadband Transfer application to BT. We kept the same number and only moved a few doors up the road. When we initally applied for BB, it actually took only 5 days for it to be set up (we couldn't believe it!). So with all this in mind, off we trot on a weeks hols thinking 'ah sure it'll all be sorted when wen get back'.

Eh, no!
    Four weeks later and we're still waiting. I've had to move my home-based business back to my parents house over 50 miles away from a house we'd just moved into and away from my fiancee.
    NOT HAPPY. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BT are telling me it's a problem with 'a third party prodiver' - Obviously Eircom. But seriously - can it really take this long?? I mean it's a 30 min job at the exchange if it even is Eircoms delay.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Why don't you cancel your old account completely and re-order as a new connection at your new address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 sparowhawk360

We thought about it but figure as we don't truly know what the delay is then we might be awiting as long.

We were told that there was a backlog and we were told that there was it was a 3rd party delay. I've requested 3 call backs from BT Customer Service, the relocation team and have recieved nothing in over a week so it's hard to get to the bottom of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I've requested 3 call backs from BT Customer Service, the relocation team and have recieved nothing in over a week so it's hard to get to the bottom of this.

email complaints@btireland.ie and tell them you want it switched on by close of business today . email them every hour until you get somebody capable of doing something in there.

its probably stuck in their billing system :(

Yeah been there, done that. Well - i mail them every second day and leave voicemails too. If it is Eircom, well we live up the road from the exchange and sometimes see an Eircom van outside. Next time I'm passing I'll see if we can spot anyone useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

As I posted in another thread, I moved from UTV last February and everything went smoothly. Then at the beginning of June my BB went down. UTV's cessation order went in and bang, no BB. BT screwed up and had to resubmit my order. Still not back :mad:

• Advertisement

ok - I finally got a call back from BT. It seems there was an error with Eircom/BT because we cancelled our old phone line before the broadband account was cancelled. Then, when they went to terminate our old BB account, there was some kind of problem because the phone line had already been cancelled.
    Or something like that. Relocations and Customer Care are trying to sort it out at the moment. It's annoying though how little power the ordinary customer care actually have and how little they will tell you. You really do have to make an official complaint before you get any decent information.

Valentia - that sounds awful. Have steps have you taken - whats the link to your other thread?

Story I heard last night was that BT now have some sort of new credit checker programme which catches new and existing customers alike.

It inserts a 10 Working Day Delay into every order as STANDARD to allow their billing department to confirm either the DD or the variance of the DD . After the 10 days the order chugs off down the line .

Yet their online yoke tells you absolutely nothing apparently.

If their potential customers knew that BT did nothing for 10 days (2 full weeks) then nobody would order off them at ANY price .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If that is indeed true.

I know of a new customer who ordered on Wed last week and is online this morning, with BT (bitstream).

this guy rang them and thats what he was told, maybe your mate gave them a CC instead of a DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bobino

I'm having a similiar nightmare,
    Brought a new house a couple of months ago in Kilkenny. I checked the guys number before I moved in to ensure Broadband was available, it was. Brought the house and changed the eircom account into my name and tried to get broadband. We got the phone in 2 days but they said they would have to wait 10 days to check the line for Broadband.
    That was 2 months ago. I rang countless times and explained the nextdoor neighbour has it for god sake. If I left the old account number I could get it but it seems they need to re-check this line in the exchange (which was already available).
    At this stage I've almost given up, the last conversation I had with them they said 'keep checking every couple of days and tell us when it is available!!!'. It like a sketch from Little Britian 'Computer says No!'
    I'm going to get a vodafone data connect card and feck them.
    Bobino

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd post an update on this.

It's still going on with the latest being 'we have no target date'. They're still crediting a 3rd party for the delay with my Broadband transfer to an address just a few doors up the road.

And while the delay MAY be due to a 3rd party, it's an absolute sham. I live just up the road from the exchange and every time I pass it, there is at least 1 'third-party' van outside it. Last week there were two vans there with engineers inside.

Is there in general some huge problem that we all don't know about. I ask because a friend of mine said that BT 'accidentally' cut of his Mum's broadband account and she is still waiting over 2 months to get reconnected.

Is it incredibly busy / huge back log etc etc

I even went as far as calling Eircom today to ask about just using their BB services. I know, i know it's desperate but I want to get my BB accouny sorted and BT are not being very clear as to the exact nature of the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

**** that. Email Danny.McLaughlin@bt.com, Minister@dcmnr.gov.ie, consumerline@comreg.ie

Explain the crap you've gone through and that you want a remedy and you want it now and you also want to be compensated for going without a service for so long after being guaranteed you'd be getting it ages ago.

If you get nothing back in a few days, come back here and I'll happily provide you with phone numbers of people who really won't appreciate being called. :)

Also post your story on telcowatch.org

JUst wanted to close this off. I've been in regular contact with BT and this mater is now resolved as of today. Once I got to speak with people in BT who could help me, they were nothing but helpful and eager to resolve my problem.

It does transpire that there were genuine and unforseen problems and we now have BB back. A lot longer than I expected but at last it's fixed. My family and my fiancee's family are long term customers of BY which is why we chose to continue with them and I'll be staying with BT in future. Thanks for everyone's help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I have been waiting 2 months also to get my BT broadband reconnected again they kept blaming eircom and that eircom are basically ignoring there requests to get my broadband line up and running again. I gut at the BT call centre told me today that I might aswell cancel my broadband in two if something still doesnt happen. Imagine being told to cancel your account because they cant be bothered to get eircoms thumb out. I am waiting for a supervisor call back but to be honest I dont expect anything after this as BT are just crap cust service. Oh and to add insult to injurty they want to charge me €30 to come down from option 3 to option 2 even though I've been with them well over 12months. BT ARE CRAP pity there braodband is so good though. Can anyone advise what I should do next ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DaveBB

7 months to get Broadband in centre of Dublin city!!

October 18th 2006...applied phone line for my new apartment in Dublin 8

Novermber 18th...called eircom...Our technician tried to phone u to make appointment but couldn't get through (bullsh*t)

December 19th...technician arrived and installed line

January 1st...applied bb with Magnet

Called em on February 5th...what's happening...ya your modem is being dispatched today.....(guys in some offshore call centre...smelled a rat...knew they were just trying to get rid of me)

5 days later...Hello this is Magnet customer service...Our rack in Crown Alley is full...we don't know when we will have more space....(more bull****....they were actually pulling out of res bb market because Eircom were dicking them around)

Feb 13th, 2007..applied bb with SMART Telecom

5 weeks later called them....there seems to be a problem with you order...Eircom have rejected it

20th March....NOT WILLING TO wait anymore.....called SMART...please cancel the order..

20th March applied BT bb

Got phone call within 5 days...thanks for your order but EIRCOM have rejected it...they say ORDER PENDING on line already...called EIRCOM 3 times...called BT 3 times...each time "Problem is not on our end...your line is fine...nothing pending on it at all

Finally on APril 1st...got pissed off...called EIRCOM to cancel account and phone number and get both reissued...then called BT to tell em I was getting new account number and phone number from EIRCOM..and could then reapply with BT...No that's OK sir says BT call centre guy...."Your order has been accepted by EIRCOM 20 mins ago".

April 1st....BALLS....called EIRCOM quickly...can I reverse the account cancellation request from earlier today ..."Sorry sir...once a cancellation request haS been submitted it can't be reversed..

April 11th...EIRCOM still hadn't posted me my new account number even tho I had rang them twice (APril 4th and April 9th) to request the new number by post.....called 1901 and said I wanted to call in in person to get my acc number (So I could reapply for bb with BT)/...Please go to Cumberland House Dublin 2 with ID and your phone number said idiot in customer care....off I go half way accross Dub city to Cumberland house...

Got blank stare from eircom receptionist at Cumberland house....we cant give out that info here...I'll call some guy and you can speak with him....speaking now to some Gorden guy...can't give you your account number in person but I'll definitely post it out to you today...

Left there fuming and waited til MondaY aPRIL 16th..when I got 2 copies of eircom acc number in post from Gorden

Reapplied April 17th, 2007 with BT for broadband...

Waited for 15 working days as per their webiste...called em on May 11th..."Yes sir your order is progressing normally...

May 17th...emailed BT...I have been waiting since April 17th for BB to be activated...got reply on same day...your BB was activated on May 11th last...but the phone line portion of your order hasn't been processed yet..it'll take 5 more days....

Had my own dsl modem and tried it on May 18th....YIPPPEEEEEEE!!!! had 3MB down BB and 384KB up BT broadband...after exactly 7 months waiting from day I moved into apartment (and I live in the centre of biggest city in Ireland!!)...

Was pissed off for 7 months with everyone...especially Eircom who are blocking the activities of smaller competing BB companies.....by delaying order processing and pissing off everone involved.

There should be an automated transfer process whereby people can change fixed line bb providers and line providers...just like it's automated to change mobile phone providers...

but govt doesn't give a sh*te that Eircom are cynically monopolizing telecoms industry in Ireland...

NOt good for general BB in ireland...hopefully govt will change in may 2007 election and new govt will give power to Com Wreck to kick Eircoms ass....

Summary......

EIRCOM are a fat , bloated, anti-competitive monopoly determined to squash real bb competition before it gets started.. they suceeded in squashing Magnet residential BB and will soon squash SMART as well...there are no other real fixed line bb providers out there (BT, Perlico, Imagine etc all simply resell EIRCOM wholesale products)

Only other option is wirless...but they require 12 month contract and I wonder how reliable theyb are in bad weather???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wireless systems are quite varied in quality, technology, speed and reliability. If properly installed all are immune to bad weather, except perhaps heavy snow.

Some offer better performance than DSL and some are really a dialup replacement. There is also cable broadband, but uPC has a lot of work to doupgrade 20 years of neglect of the cable system.

There is also the Mobile 3G based Data systems and Digiweb (who does Metro Wireless that inculdes real phone number and "line") will this year launch the 4G mobile broadband.

Summary, Real competition to eircom's ADSL (that has products that are not resold eircom) is:
    BT( few locations, most is resold), Digiweb, Magnet fibre (most is resold LLU/Glump), Smart fibre(most is resold LLU), O2, 3, Vodaphone and UPC(Chorus/NTL).

LLU is not real competition as the lion's share of revenue monthly still pays eircom line rental. The real point of LLU is to be able to offer more varied or faster services than eircom.

There are a bunch of other wireless ISPs, but few are truely nationwide and I don't think they have a built in replacement phone service. IBB, Clearwire, Ice.

Then there are various local cable or wireless companies that are quite good (e.g. Caseyvision in Dungarvin).

Advertisement