Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV Time

• 13-07-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

Right so, the parents recently got a voucher for a DIY store here in Athlone and they've decided they want a new TV, "One of those new flat ones" as they put it themselves. Unfortunately I'm not exactly up to speed on LCD/Plasma TVs and with them wanting to make the purchase soon, I'm running out of time to make sure they get the best one they can.

Becuase we're limited to one store their choices are somewhat reduced, brands wise I believe they're limited to Sony, Philips and JVC. There *may* be LG and Samsung models but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, I was wondering what TV you guys would recommend. Specs wise it must be between 26" and 32" and cost around €1200. It will be used for primarily standard terrestrial TV and DVD watching, with a possibility of some kind of Sky in the future. Connectivity wise, well the current DVD player in the house isn't the best, its just your basic cheap Philips thin line model that they sell in Xtra Vision. I don't see myself getting an XBox360 or PS3 and it won't be going near my PC either. So, recommendations please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The sammys I feel have decent specs for their price and are all HD ready.

If you are in the store with your parents and looking around, make sure to note the following and ask about them aswell.

Response time of the TV;
    8ms is your best at the moment, 12ms just bearable if you dont have a good eye.
    Make sure its fully HD ready and that the resolution of the panel is atleast 1280x 720, most are 1366 x 768. There is no use forking out that money on a SD panel if they intend on using it for a fair few years to come.

Make sure to check that it has a HDMI input. If not I
    it should have a DVI input.

Dont be afraid to take down all model numbers etc and check up yourself on the net on specs.
    I know DID may be better truthfull than the likes of Dixons and Currys, but its no harm to do your own research aswell.

I personally go for samsungs as you can be guaranteed that any of their panels from 26" up are made HD ready with HDMI, components, 2 scarts etc.

Most of the cheapers sets do not have HDMI I have found. As this may be ok for now, in a few years to come most all new DVD players, sat boxes etc will use HDMI.

Best of luck. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Right so...

Response time - at least 8ms...check
    Resolution - at least 1280 x 720...check. What do you mean by a SD panel btw?

Input wise too, what about the connectors on my DVD, I assume an adaptor would be needed if the TV only had HDMI in?

The ones they've looked at so far are the, Sony Bravia KLV-S26A10E and the Philips PS5320 26" and 32" models. I had a quick flick on the net and discovered that both sets were now discontinued so told them to see if the Sony KDL and Philips PS5321 series were available in the store. Any of those ring any bells?

In relation to SD, I mean to say standard definition.

If you have your dvd now, its bound to have scart. All the LCDs and plasmas come with scarts, so theres no worry there.

I know there is a Philips PF 5320 rather than a PS5321, is that the one?

The sony is fully HD ready, has the right resolution and is 8ms in response time.

So if you can get that, it looks like a winner for you. If you can get it.

I know pixmania have it online for €773 ex shipping, but tbh I wouldn't try it with them as their after sales service isn't the best.

Yup the DVD has a scart connection so thats that sorted.

That Philips PS5321 is their newest model, I assume its the update to the PS5320. How are either of those sorted regarding the specs? Do they compare to the Sony in any favourable way?

And yea the Sony looks really nice but at that price we'd have to go for the 26". :(

I don't think the phillips has a HDMI, only a DVI.
    That would put me off, I'm not sure about yourself.

• Advertisement

Hrm, seeing that we'll probably have this for awhile having HDMI would probably be the best idea alright. Looks like I'll be home in a week or two anyway so I should be able to pop into the store myself and have a look at the models that are available.

Oh and one more thing, is the Image Contrast Ratio a big deal with TVs? What should I be looking for in terms of 26" or 32" TVs?

Yeah the higher the better.
    Most are in reality either 800:1 and 1000:1, in addition to this, they use dynamic contrast to boost it up to 3000:1 etc

Advertisement