Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting outside of house!!

Options
  • 13-07-2006 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi folks im going to give the front & back of the house a lick of paint (for once im grateful I live in a mid terrace).
    It's an old tyrelene or pebble dashed finish and I was wondering if anyone had any do's or dont's for the job -

Is it better to hose down the walls before I start?
    Which is better brush/sprayer/roller?
    Anyone know where to get good not too expensive exterior paint?

All suggestions advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'll say this; if it's terylene it's a b*stard to paint with a roller and brush.
    The porosity of the surface and it's uneveness mean you need a very thick pile roller sleeve and a lot paint, especially if it's bare or has never been sealed in any way. I've seen in some jobs where the brushed part of the work has showed up differnetly to the rolled paintwork, due to the thickness of the paint....if you insist on using roller and brush, thin the first coat with 10-15% of water (thoroughly mixed) and IMOtry only cutting in the brushwok one less time than you roll the rest (ie, if you only need/intend to put on two coats overall, only cut in the wall once), do your best to keep a wet edge.
    It's very tough going and the roller sleeve will wear out pretty quickly too, so you may need a few.

Personally if it was me I'd be going for a sprayer, mask all your windows and doors, pick a calm day and make sure there's no cars parked nearby. ASgain the paint should be thinned as directed on the container.

As for cheap paint? False economy. You get what you pay for with paint, go for a well known brand, the own brand stuff in DIY warehouses can end up taking an extra coat to get the desired finish, factor in the cost of hiring a sprayer for an extra half day, your time etc.
    This goes either wya whter you go for spray or roller/brush.

Advertisement