Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why is the central reservation on the M50 looking like a neglected field !!

Options
  • 13-07-2006 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Noticed recently that the central reservation on the M50 is no longer been cut and looks like a overgrown and neglected field . Is this to do with the M50 expansion that has not started yet it really gives a bad frist impression of the country to visitors as the M50 is most likely to be the first part of our fantastic motor way innfrastructure they encounter !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

To discourage people from driving on / crossing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Maybe its to hide all the Actimel bottles and cigarette cartons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They were cutting the grass on the central reservation of the M11 a couple of days ago - the fella on the lawnmower was in a high-vis jacket and he had an *orange* flashing light on the lawnmower.

Of course, as soon as everyone saw the flashing light, they think it's a speed check - so on come the brakes (even though they were doing less than the speed limit) and the traffic slows down considerably while everyone gapes out their window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Why dont they reclaim that grassy area in the middle of the m50 and make an extra lane out of it ? They can put up a concrete barrier between the two sides of the motorway like they do in most other countries. Now wouldn't that be an idea ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

pontovic wrote:
    Why dont they reclaim that grassy area in the middle of the m50 and make an extra lane out of it ? They can put up a concrete barrier between the two sides of the motorway like they do in most other countries. Now wouldn't that be an idea ??

That'd never work :rolleyes:

Where would people throw their rubbish ??

And if someone wants to off-road it a bit and skip the queue, where would they go ?

Anyway, it would take at least €350 billion to implement and 20 years to finish, so its never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I noticed that last week too and the grass either side southbound is the same. I reckon they were just leaving it because they are planning to dig it up over the nect few months for the start of the 3rd lane..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pontovic wrote:
    Why dont they reclaim that grassy area in the middle of the m50 and make an extra lane out of it ?
    That's the plan.

As for the concrete barrier, well Dublin Co. Co. seem to think that three pieces of coiled wire is sufficient to stop a 60 ton truck travelling at 100km/h :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

seamus wrote:
    As for the concrete barrier, well Dublin Co. Co. seem to think that three pieces of coiled wire is sufficient to stop a 60 ton truck travelling at 100km/h :rolleyes:

Ah be fair the limit is 40 tons - so they are expecting it to stop a 40 ton truck! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

jayok wrote:
    Ah be fair the limit is 40 tons - so they are expecting it to stop a 40 ton truck! ;)

I think they are designed to delfect it (so it doesnt cross onto the opposite carriageway), also, is there not a gravel trap before them, so the vehicle would have had lost alot of the momentum it had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

seamus wrote:
    That's the plan.

No the coiled wire is there to dismember the bikers when they hit it. Personally if I was going to crash I would prefer a brick wall over some razor wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,412 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

K-TRIC wrote:
    No the coiled wire is there to dismember the bikers when they hit it

Indeed, those cheese slicers :(

As others said, I do not believe they will stop a large artic to cross over to the other side. What the fecking point of having motorways if crossing over cannot be prevented?

You'd think a government with access to enormous revenues would have gone for proper dividers, as in best practice steel, which is much safer than concrete. But no, they prefer to let it all drain away in bottomless pits like benchmarking and choose the cheapest available option :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Last weekend I got a chance to see a bit of the new Ennis bypass on the Limerick to Galway road which is supposed to be completed by the middle of next year.

It looks like the new central reservation of the duel carriageway is just a lair of concrete a couple of feet high, like you see on motorways on the Continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

seamus wrote:
    Dublin Co. Co. seem to think that three pieces of coiled wire is sufficient to stop a 60 ton truck travelling at 100km/h :rolleyes:

1. NRA? (BTW Dublin County Council ceased to exist many years ago)

2. A 60 ton truck would be well over the general maximum weight restrictions and would require a special permit. This would severely curtail it's legal speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Semantics. I did think of them. :)

In reality I doubt their ability to stop anything bigger than a hiace travelling at that speed. Notwithstanding the fact that they're only 3/4 feet high, so any large vehicle could easily tip over them. Think artic - slams into wire, trailer jacknifes and rolls over the barrier, blocks the overtaking lane of the opposit side. Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

These cheese slicers as they are affectionally know are used all over europe especially in Scandanavia however the difference there is they are maintained and in the event of an accident or someone hitting the wire and breaking off the support poles as is the design the damaged portion is reinstated within 24 hrs .As you approach the toll bridge south bound There is a large section of this cable and posts damaged from an impact that clearly stopped somebody from crossing over and it has been like that for over 2 weeks now and it not worth a sh1t if someone else were to hit at the same spot .

Advertisement