Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Accommodation

Options
  • 13-07-2006 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,
    I am a first year student from Germany starting at NUI this year.
    Having applied at CAO I am still waiting for a place.
    Is it normal to book accommodation before having the place save?
    I think end of August is quite late to look for acc.
    What kind of acc would you suggest?
    Thank you!
    Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hey Lisa I think you should be fine...especially if your on your own..Lots of people will be looking for flatmates at that time of year.
    Check out www.galwayadvertiser.com in the classified sections closer to the date of your arrival. Also www.daft.ie is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you can find it, get a room in the city centre. NUI is only a few minutes away on a bike or walking.

Btw, everyone shares flats in Galway - no-one lives alone. I have a german flat mate that told me in Germany people live by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Hey Lisa,
    mach dir keine Sorgen, das ist normal hier...

I would suggest to wait until you have the place confirmed, then come over a week before you start college, book into a hostel/B&B, and start looking for shared accomodation (you will find that accomodation is A LOT more expensive than in Germany - unless you're very rich, that is...so as a student, sharing is usually the best/cheapest option) - that way you can find out where you want to live/check out areas, houses, and housemates before you commit yourself. I would NOT recommend getting a place without having seen it first - you never know what you will get!

Also, renting here is a lot more flexible than in Germany if you share a house - usually the leases are not fixed, and most of the time it's only a week's or max two week's notice if you want to move out to find something better/more suitable.

So just relax and don't worry, it'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

biko wrote:
    Btw, everyone shares flats in Galway - no-one lives alone. I have a german flat mate that told me in Germany people live by themselves.

Not true, I know at least 10 people my age group that have their own places...only young people/students/people with lower incomes/complete masochists share a house...

Once you're older, you know why..;-)

I lived in Cuirt na Coiribe last year.That was the Foxrock of Galway student accomodation.shared accomodation FTW.alot more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

A couple of years back, me and four mates got a house for the five of us at the beggining of september, so sometimes you can get lucky!!
    Cheap rent too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Hey, good luck with the CAO. If you are looking for a place in first year in my opininion its better to live in student accomodation. Its way easier than trawling the advertiser for a house and you generally live with people the same year as you. It is an easy way to meet people. NUI acommodation office : http://www.nuigalway.ie/accommodation_office/

Advertisement