Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Perlico telemarketing calls!!!

Options
  • 13-07-2006 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this subject but it's the best I could find.

I've been getting calls from Perlico about switching over to their telephone and broadband service. They have now called three times, each time I have told them that I don't want their service as I use VOIP and I'm happy with my ISP. I asked them each time not to call again but they seem to find it very hard to cross a name off a list. The second time they called, I asked they guy on the phone where he got my number from. He said something like "oh they're just sent up to us on a list so I don't know". They called again yesterday so now it's just starting to get annoying.

What I want to know is, are these types of calls legal? If they are not, who do I complain to? COMREG maybe?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I don't have a phone line so I have no phone line provider to contact to remove me from the NDD. Maybe it's my ISP I need to call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

http://www.askcomreg.ie/about_us/default.asp?NCID=77#607

What can you do if you receive marketing calls against your wishes?
    Not all marketing calls fall into the category of ‘unsolicited calls’. A business may contact you for marketing purposes if you are or recently were a customer. They can do this even if your number is included in the opt-out listing - unless you tell them that you do not want them to phone you.
    You might also receive a marketing call if you provide phone details to a company, for example by entering a competition, redeeming coupons or requesting a brochure. If you do not want them to phone, you should say that when you give them your details.
    If you get an unwanted marketing call from a business that you have had no prior dealings with, or to whom you have not provided contact details, you should tell the caller you do not want to be contacted by that company again.
    If you get the call more than 28 days after your details have been recorded in the opt-out register of the NDD, or after you have told the company in question not to contact you again, you may wish to complain to the Data Protection Commissioner. They can investigate and prosecute the company if necessary.

I would say that if you get another call, explain the situation as calmly as you can to the marketeer, and tell them that you will be making a complaint to the DPP. Ask for their name. That should make them take you seriously.

Do you have records of the time of calls? Make sure to show that its been 28 days since you requested they don't call again.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Try this as it worked for a friend of mine. When someone calls ask them how they got your telephone number as it is recorded in the National Directory Database and that they should not be calling you and they are leaving themselves wide open to a prosecution. You wont get a call from that company again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I get these all the time at work... What I always do is just put them on hold and leave them there... I'v yet to get the same person ringing me twice since I started doing it... I used to be a gobsh*te when it came to sales calls, telling them to call back when the manager is here and giving them names to ask for... Then they started ringing back asking for that person and getting abusive when I refused to put them through.. They'll try anything.. Now they don't bother me at all.. Just let them sit on hold till they get bored and hang up :D

• Advertisement

I don't have a phone line so I have no phone line provider to contact to remove me from the NDD. Maybe it's my ISP I need to call?
    You're on VOIP? That's an interesting one. Sponge Bob might have an opinion on this, I'll ping him.

adam

Bob reckons compliance is required, so I guess that means you should get in touch with your VOIP provider. If it's not VOIP, you'll need to explain how you're receiving Perlico calls without a line or VOIP. :)

adam

If you had a phone line you ADD your details to the NDD which includes a section that you are not to be contacted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Perli-crap

They have no problem using the phone when selling - try their customer service when you are signed up to them!!!!!!!

30 minutes waiting then treated like a nuisance !!!!!!!

AND....they are not cheaper if you get the Phone and Broadband - seems that way until the bills start arriving and they'll charge all sorts of excess-time, excess-GB, excess-anything, which can double your expected bill.

Tell them to sod off next time they call, or better still ask them about the 'no contract' boast - they give the impression that 'it will cost you nothing to try them'.

Seems strange when there is no contract, that there is a disconnection charge which is graduated between 'whithin 6 months and after 6 months' - lets see them enforce that when there is 'no contract'.

I'm switching to BT and will stop further payments to Perlico - they can take me to court - fukkem.

Did you just register with that username with the sole purpose of having a rant about Perlico

• Advertisement
Advertisement