Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and how to deter them

Options
  • 13-07-2006 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I am sick of the amount of cats in my garden.

I bought some sort of powder that is supposed to deter them but it is not working.

I have chased after them, shouted at them and tried to cover them in water put they are too quick.

They are spraying everything in the garden. It is driving me nuts. Is there anything I can do.

I am thinking of setting up a sprinkler on a timer to try and rid the garden of them.

Has anyone else got any suggestions?

Comments

Get a tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I bought a few of those electronic cat repellers which seem to work. It doesn't keep them out of the garden completely but they don't like it and so won't poo in a flower bed which is covered by one. The only problem is they don't have a great range.

I hate cats with a passion now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Start liking cats. You wont get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Buy a dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Buy a family of Rottweilers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Try putting out catfood with a few good dolop's of bleach in it, should sort out your feline friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Try here and here

* please don't call the ISPCA

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Get one of those kick-ass water pistol yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Myth wrote:
    Get a tiger.

nah. you would just end up with a ciger or a tat or something.

your best bet is to call the ispca. they will pick up any strays and kill them dead. it's fun to watch.

everyone wrote:
    Buy a dog?

Buy a family of Rottweilers.

Try putting out catfood with a few good dolop's of bleach in it, should sort out your feline friends.

...they will pick up any strays and kill them dead. it's fun to watch.

We're all going to hell aren't we ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i like the family of rotweilers idea...or a pelletgun..but thats a bit mean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

What about the old trick of filling a 7up bottle with water and leaving it in the garden.... or maybe that just works with Dogs...

I Know plastic bags scare the bejesus out of cats you could try that

"What about the old trick of filling a 7up bottle with water and leaving it in the garden...."

First I've heard of it ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

my dad used to sprinkle vinegar around the garden to stop cats coming in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

ThatGuy wrote:
    "What about the old trick of filling a 7up bottle with water and leaving it in the garden...."

First I've heard of it ?!?

For some reason it's supposed to stop dogs pissing in your garden. I don't know why.

Mmh ... interesting

Now that is the scariest looking cat ever - giving ya the look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Hellm0 wrote:

Surely a cat with way better sences of smell than us would be detered by the smell of bleach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Claymores! =-> A bang, A meow and a flying fur ball will surely deter the rest.

Or line the walls with fishing line approx 1/2 foot from the wall.... cats dont like jumping over things they get tangled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The bottles of water is meant to work, equally you could climb into a neighbours garden at night and plant catnip - its a type of mint nd is like cat heroin!

Injuring the cat is not the smart way to go, police and courst are taking that sort of thing very seriously in the last few years.

Is there something in particular they like about your garden taht could be drawing them there i.e. do you have an old woman who knits out your back?

Personally I think cats are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

6th wrote:
    The bottles of water is meant to work, equally you could climb into a neighbours garden at night and plant catnip - its a type of mint nd is like cat heroin!

Injuring the cat is not the smart way to go, police and courst are taking that sort of thing very seriously in the last few years.

Is there something in particular they like about your garden taht could be drawing them there i.e. do you have an old woman who knits out your back?

Personally I think cats are great.

They are if you own one because they won't **** in your garden, they'll **** in your neighbours (i.e. mine!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

I love cats too! Thats why i use a shot gun. Nice and quick ;)

Yes I supose they would detect the tell tail signs of poisoned catfood, the stench etc, however whilst they inspect the food you can club them to death like baby seals. Or train a rifle on them. Whatever works for you

"Is there something in particular they like about your garden taht could be drawing them there i.e. do you have an old woman who knits out your back?"

Best laugh I've had all day (no joke).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sleipnir wrote:
    They are if you own one because they won't **** in your garden, they'll **** in your neighbours (i.e. mine!)

I get what your problem is but my cat uses an enclosed litter tray.

cat%20litter%20tray%20with.JPG

I think it is fairer to say i hate cat owners as opposed to cats.
    ThatGuy wrote:
    Best laugh I've had all day (no joke).
    I laughed writting it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Just a thought off the top of my head, find a part of the garden thats hidden away that you dont use, put a litter-tray there or just cover that particular area with cat-litter, they may decide to only go in that one spot.

I have found that this works for people who have asked me the same thing though -half bury pots of vicks-vapo rub in the soil, they seem to dislike it intensly.

b

After reading through this thread it still amazes me the amount of people that have such stupid cruel suggestions.If it were dogs im sure the replys would be different.I would hope the majority of the posts were meant as a joke ,well a sick joke.These are the same people that give out about the sh1ts and scumbags that throw cats on bonfires.:rolleyes:

Hellm0 wrote:
    Yes I supose they would detect the tell tail signs of poisoned catfood, the stench etc, however whilst they inspect the food you can club them to death like baby seals. Or train a rifle on them. Whatever works for you

Ah isnt it great that the animal kingdom has more brains than the likes of you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

sprinkle vinegar around the garden, that's supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

oh there is a cat in my garden, what am I going to do.?

What is it about cats that you cant handle ??

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote:
    Ah isnt it great that the animal kingdom has more brains than the likes of you.:D

Well it was a good plan, I stand by it. And since when as a good sense of smell been a sign of intelligence? I'd like to see a cat master c# with just his nostrils.

Advertisement