Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and how to deter them

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Hellm0 wrote:
    Well it was a good plan, I stand by it. And since when as a good sense of smell been a sign of intelligence? I'd like to see a cat master c# with just his nostrils.

Where exactly did i say a good sence of smell was a sign of intelligence? I have read over my posts and i cannot seem to find it,enlighten me.

What i was saying was that the cat luckily, has the intelligence to know by using its sences and working out in its brain (which is obvioulsy better used than the person trying to use bleach to kill it) that food covered in Bleach is a NO NO and would pass it by.

Putting bleach through food to kill a cat is being a stupid and cruel idea.You do realise that the cat would be have its internal organs chemically burned and poisioned which would result in a slow aggonising death.Now im not mad on cats myself but i would certainly never consider chemically burning one to death or any animal for that matter.Hopefully the cat would die quickly but its more likely it would just not be able to eat with its internal organs all shredded to sh1t,so it would starve to death.Hardly humain or an intelligent thing to do dont you think?

Anyway the post is in Animal/Pet issues now,where it should have been from the start.At least here the OP shoul get more intelligent, humain suggestions as to what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

EOA_Mushy wrote:
    I love cats too! Thats why i use a shot gun. Nice and quick ;)

dont be stupid.

banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Hellm0 wrote:
    Yes I supose they would detect the tell tail signs of poisoned catfood, the stench etc, however whilst they inspect the food you can club them to death like baby seals. Or train a rifle on them. Whatever works for you

dont be stupid.
    banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

http://www.kittenadoption.ie/irishcats.htm

Hmm I wonder if some of the "Smarty Pants" comment folk(s) are responsible for doing this to cats.:rolleyes: Though they will probabaly get off on these pictures. Proud to be Irish:confused: It's the way we treat our animals
    Claire X

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Are they stray cats (ie unused to humans) or are they your neighbours' cats (collars, etc)?

If they are strays perhaps you can contact a rescue group for some humane traps. IF they are your neighbours' cats, perhaps having a chat with them about your frustrations might be in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Garth wrote:
    Are they stray cats (ie unused to humans) or are they your neighbours' cats (collars, etc)?

If they are strays perhaps you can contact a rescue group for some humane traps. IF they are your neighbours' cats, perhaps having a chat with them about your frustrations might be in order.

:) Finally a sensible suggestion.

OP if you can find your way through the cruel smartass comments :mad: (what are ye even doing on this board?) there are a few other genuine suggestions that might work. Not sure about the bottle of water though. My sister has tried that and had no luck with it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

bealbocht wrote:
    oh there is a cat in my garden, what am I going to do.?

What is it about cats that you cant handle ??

In general I don't have a problem with cats. And as I say, it is cats in my garden - not a single cat.

My problem is that they are coming in and dirtying in my garden. The other day there was this mangey [sp] looking one spraying all over the garden furniture.

Cat dirt is also very dangerous to small shildren.

Wokie wrote:
    :) Finally a sensible suggestion.

OP if you can find your way through the cruel smartass comments :mad: (what are ye even doing on this board?) there are a few other genuine suggestions that might work. Not sure about the bottle of water though. My sister has tried that and had no luck with it:(

I put out a bottle of water yeterday evening - will see how that works

:)
    I hope it does work for you. Keep us posted!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

julep wrote:
    nah. you would just end up with a ciger or a tat or something.

your best bet is to call the ispca. they will pick up any strays and kill them dead. it's fun to watch.

Fun to watch what??
    Animals getting taken away to be killed??
    Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

After reading this thread Im disgusted at the amount of animal cruelty being openly discussed here.

Read the charter people---Any more animal cruelty and its a permanent ban for the poster.
    Ive a good mind to ban everyone on this thread for the whole reason that the posters who didnt post any cruel remarks didnt report those who did except one decent animal loving poster.

Use the report button---thats what its there for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Sean Keevey---theres a humour board for "humour" and if you think this is humour you can have a ban aswell for your troubles.

This thread is definately not humour.

Animal cruelty is never funny as far as Im concerned and Im not going to tolerate it here.

Hellrazer wrote:
    After reading this thread Im disgusted at the amount of animal cruelty being openly discussed here.

Read the charter people---Any more animal cruelty and its a permanent ban for the poster.
    Ive a good mind to ban everyone on this thread for the whole reason that the posters who didnt post any cruel remarks didnt report those who did except one decent animal loving poster.

Use the report button---thats what its there for.

Whats the point in reporting when origionaly it was posted in After Hours?.From what i have read all types of sh1te seems acceptable there.
    TBH i couldnt believe my eyes when i saw whitewashman banning people,fair play though.

Where is the report button anyway?

padi89 wrote:
    Whats the point in reporting when origionaly it was posted in After Hours?.From what i have read all types of sh1te seems acceptable there.
    TBH i couldnt believe my eyes when i saw whitewashman banning people,fair play though.

Where is the report button anyway?

I dont mod after hours and couldnt really give a sh*t what goes on there.
    The "report post" button is to the left under a users name and looks like a "yield" sign.

Hellrazer wrote:
    I dont mod after hours and couldnt really give a sh*t what goes on there.
    The "report post" button is to the left under a users name and looks like a "yield" sign.

Not trying to stir sh1t here but you can see exactly here why people dont bother reporting.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054960753

Why are there no bans being handed out here example for EOA Mushy?

To me its inconsisitant ,one mods finds it acceptable the other doesnt.The funny thing is a mod is involved in the thread :rolleyes: Doesnt make sence.

Mushys banned now.
    Id compare it to different states " laws"!!!What may be acceptable in one state is not allowed in another and as soon as Nesf moved the thread here I banned Mushy.
    I cant ban users in another mods forum and to be totally honest Id say mushy was reported by someone,so in the end the desired effect was achieved.

Hellrazer wrote:
    Mushys banned now.
    Id compare it to different states " laws"!!!What may be acceptable in one state is not allowed in another and as soon as Nesf moved the thread here I banned Mushy.
    I cant ban users in another mods forum and to be totally honest Id say mushy was reported by someone,so in the end the desired effect was achieved.

Good job, keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

just read through this and im disgusted!!! well done whitewash and hellrazer, thought this was ment to be an animal lovers page!!!!

Ok, I think this thread has been slightly hijacked.

1. By Animal haters
    2. By people venting their anger at animal haters

This is not a thred to have a go at each other. If you want to have a ding dong and battle it out start another thread.

Anyone who is left after that can still advise me how to get rid of the pesky cats in my garden.

• Advertisement

I take it the "bottle of water lying in the garden" idea didn't work?
    Garth wrote:

Again, this is probably one of the best suggestions! Worth a try.

Wokie wrote:
    I take it the "bottle of water lying in the garden" idea didn't work?

Again, this is probably one of the best suggestions! Worth a try.

I think the bottle of water trick is working - but only in late evening/night time when the lights create reflections in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Most decent pet shops sell cat deterant (SP?) sprays, I use them on my wondow boxes becuase the cats were sitting in them and destroying the flowers, there are a couple of different brands i've traied but all seem to work pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

apologise that if you think that i was attacking ppl just not impressed by the replies by some muppets in here, have you tried that get off stuff its like green crystals you sprinkle everywhere and its ment to keep them away!!!! or a nice way is to get a water pistol and any time you are in the garden and then run along your wall give them a little spray, it doesnt hurt and it does deter them, worked on my sisters cat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Sprays are fine for window boxes but not really a viable solution for a whole garden.

Really the best thing you can do is get the sonic deterrants (the ISPCA recommend them). You do have to movc them around and after a while cats will just avoid your garden (apart from the odd time)
    Or, you can buy traps, trap them yourself and the ISPCA will collect them.

Advertisement