Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Repair Issue

Options
  • 13-07-2006 12:34pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My bf and I bought a tele in December 2004 so its now 19 months old... We started to notice a line appearing down the bottom of the screen last week so we brought it to a Tv repair man in Kimmage... He said he'd have a look and about 5 days later he called us up and said it was fixed... When we went to pick it up he charged us €100 and told us that 2 chips had been damaged and "it happens" occasionally with tvs... He gave us guarantee on the work and off we went... Tele worked grand that night but the next day I plugged it in and it made a sizzling noise and then a bang and that was it... Gone blank.. So brought it back to him that morning and he took it back, told us to call him again during the week to see was it fixed... Bf called last night and he told is that coincidentally the tube has now gone in it and it has nothing got to do with the work he did so is not covered by the warranty and its going to cost us a lot more now to fix it again... So my issue here is, we don't know the first thing about tvs so how do we know this new problem has nothing to do with his initial work?? And is there anything we can do barr pay him more money or buy a new Tv???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

xzanti wrote:
    My bf and I bought a tele in December 2004 so its now 19 months old... We started to notice a line appearing down the bottom of the screen last week so we brought it to a Tv repair man in Kimmage... He said he'd have a look and about 5 days later he called us up and said it was fixed... When we went to pick it up he charged us €100 and told us the 2 chips had been damaged and "it happens" occasionally with tvs... He gave us guarantee on the work and off we went... Tele worked grand that night but the next day I plugged it in and it made a sizzling noise and then a bang and that was it... Gone blank.. So brought it back to him that morning and he took it back, told us to call him again during the week to see was it fixed... Bf called last night and he told is that coincidentally the tube has now gone in it and it has nothing got to do with the work he did so is not covered by the warranty and its going to cost us a lot more now to fix it again... So my issue here is, we don't know the first thing about tvs so how do we know this new problem has nothing to do with his initial work?? And is there anything we can do barr pay him more money or buy a new Tv???

Sounds to me like he broke your tv....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Well something I thought quite strange... His house is across the road from his shop and when we pulled up he took our tele out of his house.. Unless he uses it for storage or something :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well if the tube was on the way out he should have identified that fault with the first problem because they are near enough in the same area AFAIK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Tubes DONT go. A tube may be faulty on a brand new telly, and will be discovered when you first turn it on. Also the picture on it may deteriorate over 20 year. But they dont just go.
    Sounds like he is tellin lies.
    What it sounds to me, that you have a fault in your power supply, or Line output stage (i know u dont know what im talkin about lol).
    To replace the tube would be near the price of a tv, of MORE expensive(beleive it or not).

The first problem you had, was it like a black bar (like on a film in a "letterbox") down the bottom?

And realistically, you cannot identify a part that MAY go in the next few weeks. Its not like a car where u can see wear.

Could you PM me the guys name?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Get a second opinion on the tv....

• Advertisement
Advertisement