Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on car buying - what to get

Options
  • 13-07-2006 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hello all

I am thinking about buying my first car in the coming months. I would like to spend no more than about 8K. I am a 25 year old male and would ideally like a medium sized car.

What is good value, reliable etc

Please dont try and sell me your car here :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

List a few more requirements,
    engine size,petrol or diesel, what mileage do you expect to do, how old can the car be, performance or comfort, image or practical, budget for insurance.
    Good value is when you get what you want for less than you hoped to pay, so it could be anything from an Alfa to a Volkswagen, reliablity is a whole different thread, but its generally accepted that anything japanese is very reliable. So if you want a modern car for €8k, reliable and will have good residuals, then you want a 1.4 Toyota Corolla. Zero image however. If you want image, then a 96 Bmw 316 Coupe can be yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭reallybad

The_Magoo wrote:
    List a few more requirements,
    engine size,petrol or diesel, what mileage do you expect to do, how old can the car be, performance or comfort, image or practical, budget for insurance.
    Good value is when you get what you want for less than you hoped to pay, so it could be anything from an Alfa to a Volkswagen, reliablity is a whole different thread, but its generally accepted that anything japanese is very reliable. So if you want a modern car for €8k, reliable and will have good residuals, then you want a 1.4 Toyota Corolla. Zero image however. If you want image, then a 96 Bmw 316 Coupe can be yours.

Apologies :-)
    I would like a petrol car - would expect to do at most 10K a year. Would take practicality over style.Ideally the newer the better. Something in 1.4 range.
    I presume corrolla/focus is the way to go here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

You can get these in a 1390cc engine. I have one, and find it to be a reliable and economical car. I love the style of the car too. Planning on buying a new one shortly too. Yaay! :)

Advertisement