Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Veg sides for dinner

• 13-07-2006 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Hello all!

I'm fairly tired of the usual brocolli, carrots, cauliflower, spuds as my veg sides for dinner.

Has anyone got anything more interesting to add to a dinner?

I'm willing to try anything but I really dislike peas or beans of any sort, anything else though!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Strike out thoughts of mashed peas and refried bean paste then (i love these, might try them together some day...)

pile sna piles of sweetcorn is always nice, some butter and pepper and it's not so much a sidedish as my dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I've recently started eating a bit of quinoa, it's tasty and interesting and anything I've done with it so far has been vegan and extremely tasty.
    Make your own passata or buy some, and use this and veggie stock to boil the quinoa, then fry garlic, mustard seed, finely chopped onion, cumin seed and turmeric powder in some olive oil until sweated down. Then add any veggies you want to the pan and add the quinoa and mix and reduce if needed.
    Easy and tasty.
    I use the lidl bags of frozen veg for the veg mix.

If you have some asofetida it's a good idea to add a pinch to the quinoa too, it is quite windy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

rsta wrote:
    Hello all!

I'm fairly tired of the usual brocolli, carrots, cauliflower, spuds as my veg sides for dinner.

As a matter of interest, how do you cook 'em. I throw them all together, in about 1/2cm (no, really) of salted, boiling water with a pinch of suger added. Then bung on teh lid and give them no more than 3 minutes and probably less. They come out half-steamed and still mostly-crunchy.
    Has anyone got anything more interesting to add to a dinner?
    God, the choices are endless...

Courgette, fried with wafer-thin slices of garlic, with lemon-juice squeezed over them immediately before taking them out of the pan.

(Baby) wild asparagus, wrapped in a slice of rohschinken, seared in a griddle.

Mushrooms, stuffed with breadcrumb, chopped-up-bacon, garlic and herbs
    Courgettes, done the same way, optionally with grated parmesan on top (gratinated with the cheese or not)

Given the time of year...don't do veg at all. Do a side-salad.

Do a salsa - tomato, red (spring) onion, coriander, lemon/lime juice, salt, pepper, oil....

griddle/grill skewers of pepper/tomato/courgette/whatever....

Im sure some of the others can suggest something to try with aubergine...

Damn...hungry now. Time to go home and get food.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I know you said you didn't like beans but have you tried french beans covered in butter and garlic? I'm not a big bean fan but even I will eat them like this, they're yummy. (Mainly cause they just taste of garlic butter :) )

The other thing I rather enjoy is carrots, parsnips and turnip, boiled and then mashed up together with cracked black pepper. You can use any combination of three, though it is nicest with carrot in it as it gives a good sweetness.

I know these aren't as fancy as some of the other veggie ideas but they're still damn tasty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Thanks everyone! Something interesting ideas there!

I will have to try something with the aubergine alright, I had a panini today with aubergine in it. never had that veg before and it was suprisingly nice.

quinoa.. not got a clue what it is! gonna google it now and have a look around the shops for it. :)

Cheers for the ideas all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sweet potatoes - can be boiled, mashed, baked. Personally, I love to bake them and serve them split open, with a little salt, pepper and a little butter just melting on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Yep, sweet potatoes are rather delicious. I like to mash them roughly and add a tiny sprinkle of lemon juice and dried chilli to bring out the flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yeah - when I mash them, I sometimes boil them in a little veg stock, then mash some crushed garlic cloves/finely chopped ginger and chilli and a little lime juice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Brussels sprouts with ginger, stir-fried until cooked but still crunchy, splash of sesame oil, splash of lime juice, sprinkle with sesame seeds.

You will never look at a sprout in the same way again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Courgettes:

Fry some onion and garlic, then add the courgettes and stir fry til they've softened a little, then throw in a tin of chopped tomatoes and simmer for a while. Season as you like with salt and black pepper (pepper mostly, mmm).

So easy to make and sooo lovely, try it!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

green beans with bacon and chili
    soften red chili pepper in pan, add bacon and fry til almost done, add green beans and cook til tender with a slight crunch.

ratatouille (of sorts)
    soften an onion, celerly and garlic (al finely chopped) in a pan, add sliced red peppers, courgettes, aubergines. add a glug of red wine (if you have some) and a tin of tomatoes and simmer for 30mins.

cauliflower dusted with ground cumin and baked til tender

Advertisement