Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on 2004 VW Golf comfort model

Options
  • 13-07-2006 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All

I seen this car today in Merlins and was impressed with what I saw.. Before I put deposit down I thought I'd check what opinions people had on the VW Golf.. I'd imagine that they are a very reliable car and would have trouble free driving for a few years

http://www.merlinmotorcity.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=360949

Do any of you know from experience the mileage I would get on this car? I drive approx 300 miles per week ( Enfield to Blanchardstown)..I currently drive a fiat bravo ( heard all the jokes already ) and would put in €50 per week... what sort of mileage would I get in the Golf for €50?

Any help would be appreciated as know nothing about cars..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

sound car. Timing belt will need doing in that one soon. Recommended around 50k miles. Will cost around €450 to get done in a dealers. other than that, there's not much to watch for, usual wear and tear. Check front suspension for squeaks. As for mileage, I have a 02 1.4, and i get 40-45mpg out of it. the 1.6 might be a little harder, but not much I'd say. You'd be looking at similar mileage out of your €50. 1.6 isn't as easy to sell on but what worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

I drove a 04 golf for the guts of a year. It was a 1.9 diesel. Very reliable car, never caused me a bother in all the time I had it.

As for fuel consumption, I was on the road in it with a petrol card, but for my own journey to and from work, I'd hazard a guess and say around €40 a week would have covered it. That journey was from Trim, Co Meath to Ballyfermot. I do recommend them, mine was a great yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'd consider the 1.9tdi if I were you, better resale value and poke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Nice car, it's a mark 4 golf though, and it is the previous version to the current one, some might argue that they're better. 04 was when the mark 5 came out, I'd look for one of them if you're bothered about the resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Yea, I'd say go for the mark 5 also, plus the sportsline looks nicer because it's fully colour-coded, comfortline as a few more extras as std though, so it depends what's most important to you.
    Reliability wise, don't think you can go too wrong with a VW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

smarten31 wrote:
    I'd imagine that they are a very reliable car and would have trouble free driving for a few years

VWs are far from being the most unreliable cars on the market, but do be aware that reliability, especially in recent years, is not as good as their image would suggest. That car is also not especially cheap - I brought an 03 Golf 1.6 auto with a/c, leather, and ESP in from the UK last year for a friend. That car had 24,000 miles, was like new and cost €13,500 all in.

Advertisement