Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on moving to balbriggan, dont bother!!

• 13-07-2006 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

IT’S FULL steam ahead for Bremore Port, which could eventually surpass Dublin Port in terms of size, as councillors moved to facilitate the deepwater port by way of a special objective.

At a draft County Development Plan meeting on Monday, councillors agreed to create a new objective, the first step in a process which could see phase one up and running ‘in three years optimistically and five at the outside’.

This was the view taken by Director of Planning David O’Connor who said while no timescale had been fixed, ‘our intention is to move very quickly on this’.

It was also revealed by Mr O’Connor that the Port would eventually have its own interchange directly onto the motorway travelling across country ‘to protect the amenities of Balbriggan and Balscadden’.

Councillors heard that after the final third phase this figure could rise to 25 million tonnes, in comparison to the current Dublin port capacity of 23 million
    This will be the last nail in the coffin for our community which has gradually been worn down by unscrupulous developers and a council which fires blanks,

This is the site the new port will be located, ten minutes walk from the north side of the town

http://www.balbriggan.net/photosaug05.htm

Its not just the fact that it is the only unspoilt stretch of coast in north county dublin, it is of historical significance also

http://www.megalithomania.com/show/site/1370
    http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/32687

Just picture what impact this will have on Balbriggan when all 3 phases have been developed, the port and its associated warehousing will reach right back from gormanstown to Bremore castle,
    http://www.droghedaport.ie/cms/publish/article_231.shtml
    Balbriggan will have one use and that will be to service a port, why would anyone want to live in such an environment?

And it seems there is nothing that can be done to stop this, even Trevor(I love the environment) Seargant has given his support for this plan, although I am sure if a few Fucking seals used the rocks below he would oppose it, (he's next to useless when it comes to protecting amenitites that have human interest).

You might ask why the rant? How can a port in your locality with "all the jobs" associated be bad for Balbriggan.

I will put it as simple as possible, Balbriggan is already feeling the strain of over development in the past ten years- the schools are full, nightlife revolves around the pubs, even the doctor on call is a joke in our local,
    For anyone who commutes into dublin another factor has to be taken into account, with this new port having a 20 million tonne capacity what is that going to do for traffic heading into Dublin(as that is were all the cargo from this port is needed), they propose using the rail network for some of these goods movement, they cant even get passenger movements(standing room only on morning trains) right let alone 20 million tonnes of freight moving in a direction that is gridlocked every day.

Everyone already has jobs so what will happen when you get a 1000 or so dockworkers and their family moving into the neighbourhood.

Im in work at present so this might seem like an ill thought out rant but I will edit and develop it to explain why I feel like this, had to get it off my chest

Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 giggidtygig2

This will be the last nail in the coffin for our community which has gradually been worn down by unscrupulous developers and a council which fires blanks,

Not unlike the rest of Ireland so ha? :) :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Only hope I suppose is that it takes a 'good' 5 years to build, i.e. still in the planning stage in 5 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I hope that the bright spark who thought this idea up gets piles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's always the dockside "early houses" & hookers to look forward to. ;)

Hill Billy wrote:
    There's always the dockside "early houses" & hookers to look forward to. ;)

There is that..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There will be NO long term new jobs with the development. Any jobs here will be relocated from Drogheda port.

Bluetonic wrote:
    There will be NO long term new jobs with the development. Any jobs here will be relocated from Drogheda port.

Thats even worse.........

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The best was that PD motion to transfer the whole of Dublin Port out of the city centre as well. Why the feck did you build the tunnel for then? Muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

delly wrote:
    The best was that PD motion to transfer the whole of Dublin Port out of the city centre as well. Why the feck did you build the tunnel for then? Muppets.

Somehow I think the port tunnel might be useful for other things aside from trucks - wouldn't you say ? If you ask me, that PD idea was a great one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Immigration into overcrowded Balbriggan won't be that severe as it's Drogheda Port that are moving there and most of the workers there live in (funnily enough) Drogheda or its vicinity. They move of course after they build a new pier at Tom Roe's Point and dredge the Boyne...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

m_stan wrote:
    Somehow I think the port tunnel might be useful for other things aside from trucks - wouldn't you say ? If you ask me, that PD idea was a great one.
    /Off topic

Well it was built with the purpose of trucks in mind, otherwise why would it cost €6 or so for a car user at peek time. Oh, and trucks can only use one lane of the tunnel when opened.

/Off topic ends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Snivilian

We also have the superdump and the incinerator in Duleek to look forward to.(standing on hill overlooking the port, the cement factory in Duleek is visible. Will the incinerator be any different?)

Maybe with the port, Fingal Planners may decide to put some amenities into the area apart from shops, shops and more shops.

Snivilian wrote:
    Maybe with the port, Fingal Planners may decide to put some amenities into the area apart from shops, shops and more shops.

Like hookers from Drogheda?

Hill Billy wrote:

:rolleyes: what is it with you and hookers dude? Is there not enough in them there hills for you?

Hill Billy wrote:

Is there any other sort of women from Drogheda :D

:rolleyes: what is it with you and hookers dude? Is there not enough in them there hills for you?
    With the lack of any decent-looking sheep between Balrothery & Barnageeragh I have to keep myself occupied somehow.
    Bluetonic wrote:
    Is there any other sort of women from Drogheda
    Saucer of milk anyone? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

There's a selection of brothels in Balbriggan in the Moylaragh/Cardy Rock areas....allegedly.

(actually not even allegedly....)

blastman wrote:
    There's a selection of brothels in Balbriggan in the Moylaragh/Cardy Rock areas....allegedly.

(actually not even allegedly....)

I always said the Northside of Balbriggan was a dive.

It's not nice when one does have to cross the river.

And where does Pinewood fit in then? :)

Hill Billy wrote:
    And where does Pinewood fit in then? :)

It's the Tallaght of Balbriggan, south-west :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The wrong side of the tracks one could say :)

Bluetonic wrote:
    It's the Tallaght of Balbriggan, south-west :D

I know where it is alright, just didn't see where it fitted in to your north/south divide.

The pimple on the ar$e of Balbriggan so to speak.

Hill Billy wrote:
    I know where it is alright, just didn't see where it fitted in to your north/south divide.

The pimple on the ar$e of Balbriggan so to speak.

It's only down hill from Pinewood to be honest, well uphill, but it's all downhill.

Advertisement