Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another licence question

Options
  • 13-07-2006 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭

Ok sorry if this is a completely stupid question.
    But am I right in thinking if you pass your driving test for a car you can apply for a scooter and a car towing a trailer licence at the same time.(a garda once told me)
    Can you apply for a motorbike licence at the same time or do you have to go through the motor bike test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

You can apply for up to 125cc bike (so that would cover nearly all scooters), but for anything higher you'll need to do a test for it. As far as I know 125 - 250cc is one test, and then there's another for 250cc up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

silas wrote:
    You can apply for up to 125cc bike (so that would cover nearly all scooters),

AFAIK it's less than or equal to 11kw. You can ride a 1,000cc bike once it's restricted to 11kw or less.

A B category licence automatically covers categories M (scooters) and W.
    a car towing a trailer

You must have a full licence in the drawing vehicle before applying for a provisional in the combination (with the exception of category W which includes trailer/s).

You may apply for an A1,B,C1,M,W without having any previous licence. If you pass a test in C1, for example, you will automatically be given B,M and W.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

...you pass a test in C1, for example, you will automatically be given B,M and W.

I'm pretty sure you actually need a Full B to get a Provisional C1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A full car licence (B) automatically gives you Class M which is a restricted moped (i.e. less than 50cc and limited to 45km/h. Some 50cc's can do 70-80km/h unrestricted but you need a bike licence to ride one.)

Anyone over 16 can apply for a provisional A1 which is any bike up to 125cc provided the power output is less than 11kW(15hp) Good for 110-120km/h on a good day with a tailwind... into a headwind will struggle to 80.

Anyone over 18 (no bike experience necessary) can apply for a provisional A which is ANY cc, but the power to weight ratio must be less than 0.16kW/kg. Factory restricted bikes are available, or you can fit an aftermarket power restrictor. You cannot take the class A test on a bike under 125cc. Your licence remains restricted for 2 years after passing the test.

Theory test is required when applying for a first A or A1 provisional, unless you've already done the car theory test (the test itself is the same.)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TommyK wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you actually need a Full B to get a Provisional C1.

Incorrect TommyK - anyone without any previous driving experience may apply for a C1 provisional licence provided that they are at least 18 years of age.

Advertisement