Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Stairlift

Options
  • 13-07-2006 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Hi, my elderly mother while not disabled uses a stairlift to get upstairs. I bought it for my Dad who was disabled and when he died my mother started using it as she finds it difficult to go upstairs. This week it died. The repairman said the PCB board had blown and it was impossible to have the board repaired or to have a 2nd hand one fitted. The only solution was a new PCB board from a newer model. This would cost nearly 500 euro. My mother can't afford that. Does anyone know of anyone who would attempt a repair job or have a 2nd hand board? It's a Meditek, 8 years old for a straight stairs. The repair man suggested that she try the Health Centre and see if they would give some money towards the cost of the repair but she was told 'absolutely not' by them when she rang today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly to see what they think. Are there any parts on eBay? Was there any warrenty on the original installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

contact your local county council they provide grants for adapting the environment (around 20, 000eur) (ie your house) if the person in question qualifies. ask them to send you out the form and fill it in and send it back i think you may need your GP to sign it too or ask your local health centre for help in this regard or advice (ask to speak to the community Occupational therapist if they have one).

The process involves an OT working for the council normally assesses the person in question and prioritises them according to their need. most of the time it can take anything from 2 months-6 months depending on your area, if one becomes available soon and the waiting list for that area. the health board employs OTs (occupational therapists) but for some reason they don't take a big role in getting large adaptions other then advising them to seek a grant from their county council and advising what type of equipment to get. sometimes an OTs budget for a whole catchement area (eg county) could be anything from 10-15,000 for equipment for the whole month for the whole area and everyone in it, hence lots of equipment is 2nd hand and gotten from stores (after a person dies they get sent here and have maintenance done on them and are cleaned etc).. often the only new equipment the health board can afford to buy is absolute neccessities like pressure cushions/ raised toilet seats and hoists etc (things that may damage a persons health if they didn't have them) and even some of these are second hand. the budget also depends alot on where you live etc and how much money is invested by the government in the services there. stuff like electric wheelchairs/ electrc chairs cost a small fortune so normally aren't covered under such budgets to buy new unless you get it through a voluntary organisation like the IWA/ spina bifida association etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skyagree

Did you get your stairlift sorted?
    I have a fully operational stairlift with remote control for a straight staircase free to a good home if needed.

Advertisement