Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote Data Transition

• 13-07-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to take some data at my house and transmit to another house. Basically I need to send some data wirelessly from one house to another once aday automatically.

Ive though about some ideas:

(1) Connect a device to the telephone which "rings" a receiveing module on the other side?

(2) GPRS Device, Is it possible? How much do they cost? :confused:

Can anyone give me any advice. It would be better if it was cheap.:D

Many thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I can think of a few cheapish ways to go about it , would it be serial port stuff or something with ethernet do ya ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Hi Bushy,

I don't want to use a PC at all. I want to put together some device that takes some readings from hardware and sends it to a receiving module. I was think about some form of GPRS device or via atelephone line:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Hi, maybe have a look here www.stompboxnetworks.com (from another post on boards) , guy is running a small SBC with a gprs card.If the hop isn't too long you could use wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

bushy... wrote:
    Hi, maybe have a look here www.stompboxnetworks.com (from another post on boards) , guy is running a small SBC with a gprs card.If the hop isn't too long you could use wifi.

Thanks, interesting but I don't think its suitable.

What I want to do is to take data from a remote location and send it back to a server. So, perhaps some device connected to a telephone line may be the way to o?

Ive looked at a number of GPRS devices but they are extremely expensive.

Thanks.

Advertisement