Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Paddy_R wrote: »
    The mighty stickleback!

You can see the bulge at the bottom of him indicating how far the worm was down. There must have been a point when he thought 'I've probably taken on a bit much here'.
    It's funny alright. The bunch of worms are about 3 times the size of it, greedy little fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Paddy_R wrote: »
    The mighty stickleback!

You can see the bulge at the bottom of him indicating how far the worm was down. There must have been a point when he thought 'I've probably taken on a bit much here'.

He was prob like "hey this is great. Free food.........uh oh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

One this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Eddie B

beano345 wrote: »
    One this evening
    Cracker of a fish that, well done! What ya catch him with?

Eddie B wrote: »
    Cracker of a fish that, well done! What ya catch him with?

Minnow..he put some bend in the rod let me tell ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

Nice fish for a miserable monday

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Lovely Fish!
    Did you release him?

Lovely Fish!
    Did you release him?

No first fish I've kept in ages I reckon he's a stocky

One this evening

It's not this years stocky by looks of his fins.
    Can't beat minnow. My favourite to use on all rivers and lakes. Just surreal bait.
    Did you spin it or just leave it?

It's not this years stocky by looks of his fins.
    Can't beat minnow. My favourite to use on all rivers and lakes. Just surreal bait.
    Did you spin it or just leave it?

I'd say he's been in the river a year or two,mostly stocked the river I was on,I just left it,it only came around in the current and settled then he nailed it nearly lost the rod!

• Advertisement

I'd say he's been in the river a year or two,mostly stocked the river I was on,I just left it,it only came around in the current and settled then he nailed it nearly lost the rod!

I love fishing with minnow in fast water. Cast upstream and allow the water to do the work. Most trout in that current will pull the arm off ya.
    God I've to get back out fishing soon. The minnow will start appearing again with water being warmer.

I love fishing with minnow in fast water. Cast upstream and allow the water to do the work. Most trout in that current will pull the arm off ya.
    God I've to get back out fishing soon. The minnow will start appearing again with water being warmer.

Can't beat minnow or the worm,there was a good flow on the water today bit coloured too.went catching minnow today a lot of small ones but they're plentiful at the moment.casting upstream is the best any fish that sees it normally follows it around,sometimes they just watch it and as soon as you give it a slight turn of the reel they grab it!

Can't beat minnow or the worm,there was a good flow on the water today bit coloured too.went catching minnow today a lot of small ones but they're plentiful at the moment.casting upstream is the best any fish that sees it normally follows it around,sometimes they just watch it and as soon as you give it a slight turn of the reel they grab it!

I find in around June July nice size minnow start to show.
    How do you catch them. I use either a single maggot on size 18 hook or flake of bread on 18 hook.
    Then a 14 in the lip with a tiny treble in its flank and a single bb about a foot up from the hook and that does the job for me.
    There's areas where spinners will work but not all the time whereas you can't fail with a minnow or trotting a worm down fast water

I find in around June July nice size minnow start to show.
    How do you catch them. I use either a single maggot on size 18 hook or flake of bread on 18 hook.
    Then a 14 in the lip with a tiny treble in its flank and a single bb about a foot up from the hook and that does the job for me.
    There's areas where spinners will work but not all the time whereas you can't fail with a minnow or trotting a worm down fast water

If I'm on my own normally I get into the river were I see them and muddy up the water then place my net in front of me entrance facing towards me and literally walk towards it,they cant see the net with the water muddied,two or three goes at that and you'll have enough minnow to do you the year let alone a fishing session if there's a good few minnow in that spot.there was 3 of us yesterday so we went along the banks two lads would walk ahead and using sticks would move them under the weed and grass at the banks while walking back down towards were I had the net,caught loads this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

was shown this by a lad only 10-11 yrs just a few weeks ago.

Take a 2 litre drinks bottle cut top 1/4 off it and insert it upside down into the bottle. Punch a few holes in the two pieces and wire them together. push some bread into the bottom half, fill with water, tie 5-6 ft of mono to it and put it in at the waters edge. leave for 5-10 mins , and the bottle will be packed with minnow.

Pick what you plan on using and release the rest to fight another day.

great little trap..

breghall wrote: »
    was shown this by a lad only 10-11 yrs just a few weeks ago.

Take a 2 litre drinks bottle cut top 1/4 off it and insert it upside down into the bottle. Punch a few holes in the two pieces and wire them together. push some bread into the bottom half, fill with water, tie 5-6 ft of mono to it and put it in at the waters edge. leave for 5-10 mins , and the bottle will be packed with minnow.

Pick what you plan on using and release the rest to fight another day.

great little trap..

The oul minnow trap :) there's vids on YouTube showing how to make them,quite effective too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Not much of a fish compared to some of the pics on here but a first for me. A nice sized three bearded rockling, close enough to 2lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Not much of a fish compared to some of the pics on here but a first for me. A nice sized three bearded rockling, close enough to 2lb.

beautiful colours. what did u catch it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

beautiful colours. what did u catch it on?

On a good old reliable mackerel rig. They wouldnt touch peeler, sandeel or lug but they were striking the mackerel within 20 seconds of it hitting the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

• Advertisement

Anyone know what species this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Bream I think
    Anyone know what species this is?

fisherking wrote: »
    Bream I think

Cheers don't do much course fishing so can't really tell the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Looks like a Bream-Roach Hybrid to me? It looks a bit bulkier than a regular Bream and tend to fight a lot harder than one too! Does anyone agree / disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

smashiner wrote: »
    Looks like a Bream-Roach Hybrid to me? It looks a bit bulkier than a regular Bream and tend to fight a lot harder than one too! Does anyone agree / disagree?

+1 hybrid.

Looks more like bream to me. Hybrids tend to be a silver colour not really taking a bream colour. Dull coloured fins unlike a roach's and generally bigger than a large roach. I've caught bream roach hybrids and that doesn't look like anyone's I've caught.
    I'm saying a bream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Got a 9.5lb fish on Corrib on Thursday. Doesn't look that big in the photos though :( , but the fish was just under 9.5 pound, it wasn't held out miles in front of me, the other 2 show the thickness of the fish.

fish1_zps9c08be90.jpg

fish3_zps8fd67a82.jpg

fish2_zps14255774.jpg

Cienciano wrote: »
    Got a 9.5lb fish on Corrib on Thursday. Doesn't look that big in the photos though :( , but the fish was just under 9.5 pound, it wasn't held out miles in front of me, the other 2 show the thickness of the fish.

fish1_zps9c08be90.jpg

fish3_zps8fd67a82.jpg

fish2_zps14255774.jpg

Now that's a brown trout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Now that's a brown trout!!

Cheers, the usual story. Caught it within 10 minutes of going out and then not a tap for the next 2 days!
    Happy enough with it though.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Cheers, the usual story. Caught it within 10 minutes of going out and then not a tap for the next 2 days!
    Happy enough with it though.

I'd be happy if I caught that and nothing for the year

Advertisement