Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

6XalnIW.jpg

Don't fancy posting the location as over the last few weeks the weather has brought a lot of the undesirable types of anglers out of the woodwork (pick up your rubbish, there's miles of canal please stop spinning beside my float etc) but suffice to say it was the canal.

Caught when I gave up on sweetcorn and switched to just double mags too, thought that was a little backwards for tench? Was wondering what was going on with the deformed fins at first too till I noticed above them on the body it looks like something had a go at this lucky sod at some point in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Two pike on worms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nice healthy looking fish. Well done.
    Can I suggest you invest in an unhooking mat to protect the fish from that rough ground? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Or at least some grass

First one came off the hook as I was lifting him out hence the dirt.pike are one tough fish I'd say he'll survive for another day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are actually far from tough. Rough ground and soil will remove the mucus that protects the fish from disease. Rough ground will also remove scales and cause abrasions. Sharp grass can pierce the pike’s eye, causing blindness.

They are actually far from tough. Rough ground and soil will remove the mucus that protects the fish from disease. Rough ground will also remove scales and cause abrasions. Sharp grass can pierce the pike’s eye, causing blindness.

Extremely OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

beano345 wrote: »
    Extremely OTT

Afraid not, Srameen is pretty much spot on, do you not know, pike have no eyelids and are easily blinded by being put on grasses and reeds.....

breghall wrote: »
    Afraid not, Srameen is pretty much spot on, do you not know, pike have no eyelids and are easily blinded by being put on grasses and reeds.....

I know pike have no eye lids,believe me there wasn't a bother on this fish going back

I've caught plenty of pike that have had chunks taken out of them from other pike havin a go at them.
    I believe they are tough little Shiites but I wouldn't just leave em on the gravel man. Not having a go but just heads up for next time man.

• Advertisement

Trust me I have seen some crazy stuff with pike,that one after I released him swam back grand and then parked up in front of me,a minute later he made a go at a dace swimming by,and I'd bet he was the same one chasing the bait fish out the water in front of me,not bad for a blind or one eyed pike

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

No one is having a go here and I'm sure everyone believes you that they went back safely. But post those pics on any fishing forum and you will get the same comments. Post them on a pike forum and you'd get a right going over! :)
    You might not have been targeting pike and as such you could be excused for not carrying a mat. But at least use the grass.
    And when you are targeting pike always carry an unhooking mat.

Nice healthy looking fish though. Nice catch.

Reedsie wrote: »
    No one is having a go here and I'm sure everyone believes you that they went back safely. But post those pics on any fishing forum and you will get the same comments. Post them on a pike forum and you'd get a right going over! :)
    You might not have been targeting pike and as such you could be excused for not carrying a mat. But at least use the grass.
    And when you are targeting pike always carry an unhooking mat.

Nice healthy looking fish though. Nice catch.

Wasn't targeting pike I very rarely fish for them that other pic was along a lock gate and he flipped a bit onto the gravel when I took the pic the second dropped off the hook as I was trying to lift him clear of the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

beano345 wrote: »
    Wasn't targeting pike I very rarely fish for them that other pic was along a lock gate and he flipped a bit onto the gravel when I took the pic the second dropped off the hook as I was trying to lift him clear of the bank

You put the fish back, half the battle won in my opinion. Conversations by text online rarely carry emotion and intentions can be confused, I'd assume no body is having a go but some form of mat wouldn't go astray. I'm guilty myself of laying out fish on the bank without thinking, it happens and the Pike you caught definitely have a better chance than some that have been horribly abused on our waters recently, including being used as a football. No harm likely done.

Nice fish by the way, great to see healthy pike (and particularly young ones) in our waters as they seem to be one of the worst hit species in recent years.

niallon wrote: »
    You put the fish back, half the battle won in my opinion. Conversations by text online rarely carry emotion and intentions can be confused, I'd assume no body is having a go but some form of mat wouldn't go astray. I'm guilty myself of laying out fish on the bank without thinking, it happens and the Pike you caught definitely have a better chance than some that have been horribly abused on our waters recently, including being used as a football. No harm likely done.

Nice fish by the way, great to see healthy pike (and particularly young ones) in our waters as they seem to be one of the worst hit species in recent years.

Oh I'd say there having a go alright judging by some of their other posts were they attack posters over the silliest things,like I said I'd no intention of catching pike just the way it went yesterday.good to see some healthy pike alright in that particular river were theyve much worse to contend with than "grass" anyways last post on this forum

I wasn't having a go at ya lad. I don't use a Mat if I need to id use a jacket but IMO grass is fine.
    To say pike aren't tough is a bit much. As I said I've caught pike with wounds all over them from other pike and one that had fresh blood still pumping from it's wounds and went back fine. For someone to say you should use a mat because it can damage the fish is a bit of a hypocrite when they don't consider tha fact of a hook buried in its mouth and being dragged from the water
    They're resilient fish.
    Keep up the fishing man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod People have made their point regarding that particular photo. Leave the chat at that and back to photos please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I enjoy reading the posts and looking at the photos but this is my first time posting here.
    I took this last Sunday week after taking the boat out of the water having spent a nice few hours out on the lake with a jack and 3 perch for my efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Base price wrote: »
    I enjoy reading the posts and looking at the photos but this is my first time posting here.
    I took this last Sunday week after taking the boat out of the water having spent a nice few hours out on the lake with a jack and 3 perch for my efforts.

Fantastic Photo

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Got my first bull huss in Valentia this week at first light, unfortunately I got no pic of the fish.

http://omg.wthax.org/6epaUp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Fantastic setting though.
    That's what it's all about, seeing parts of our lovely country that most people will never see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Got my first bull huss in Valentia this week at first light, unfortunately I got no pic of the fish.

Amazing setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Beautiful spot, It wouldn't bother me to go to that spot and not even fish, just watch, what our great sport is all about, a few fish are a bonus

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

I've been fishing in the alps the last few days. Managed to catch a few small brown trout and rainbows in the streams and lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Got these two monsters last night. Line peeling and the drag was singing. Great fight off them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Well done .red,
    I mostly coarse fish (plus a bit of Mackerel + Pollock), so for the benefit of myself and some others, what species are these two fish (Wrasse ?? + ???).
    Lovely colours on both of them, good stuff.;)

smashiner wrote: »
    Well done .red,
    I mostly coarse fish (plus a bit of Mackerel + Pollock), so for the benefit of myself and some others, what species are these two fish (Wrasse ?? + ???).
    Lovely colours on both of them, good stuff.;)

Its a corkwing wrasse. They dont get big, 25cms would be a pretty good sized one.
    the 2nd is either a tompot blenny or a common blenny. Not sure which.
    The rod was 0.5-7g, small shimano and 5lb powerpro. Good craic.
    I got smashed up by a few fish too, probably wrasse or pollack about the 1.5lb mark. Very weedy where we were and if you werent quick enough the fish was in the weed and you were pulling for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Sounds like great craic, good to see bit of sport on light tackle where it is a bit of battle to land the fish! Sounds like fresh water fishing for Tench in a weedy swim on light tackle, great fun but hairy too ;), keep it going buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭strangles

2 sweet looking fish red,goin out from cork tomoro after tope.not a sea fisherman but got opportunity to go so with no water in any of the rivers to do any salmon fishin said id go.cant wait,its been a few years since been sea fishin,hopefully get a few pics for thread..........

• Advertisement

strangles wrote: »
    2 sweet looking fish red,goin out from cork tomoro after tope.not a sea fisherman but got opportunity to go so with no water in any of the rivers to do any salmon fishin said id go.cant wait,its been a few years since been sea fishin,hopefully get a few pics for thread..........
    Tope from Cork? You sure its not blue sharks? Never heard of a tope from anywhere off the Cork coast before.

Advertisement