Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭strangles

Don't know lad,as I said not a sea fisherman.Was told twas tope we were goin after,i see there catching tope off Kerry coast so would you not get them off cork coast aswell ? Sure il know by tomorrow eve I hope...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

strangles wrote: »
    Don't know lad,as I said not a sea fisherman.Was told twas tope we were goin after,i see there catching tope off Kerry coast so would you not get them off cork coast aswell ? Sure il know by tomorrow eve I hope...........
    Maybe someone has a secret spot for them. Or maybe ive just never heard of them. Good luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Tope occupy pretty much the whole irish coast

Even the wrasse love a jelly snake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

.red. wrote: »
    Even the wrasse love a jelly snake!!

Very clever lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

Thats brilliant my kid was amazed by that pic. jelly worms ha he loves them.

wish i could take the credit for the idea but i cant.
    http://fishinginireland.info/news/sea-reports/best-kept-secret-sweet-lures-for-the-fish-and-the-angler/
    The pink got the most hits but they kept coming back with the tails missing and between myself and the fish i ran out of them quick enough. For quality control purposes I had to eat one myself every time i put one on the hook. The purple got no interest at all. Yellow an orange got the odd hit with just the one fish landed on the yellow.
    Good craic and it was something different anyway. Ill be stocking up the next time i see the €1 for a bag offer in the shop.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

.red. wrote: »
    wish i could take the credit for the idea but i cant.
    http://fishinginireland.info/news/sea-reports/best-kept-secret-sweet-lures-for-the-fish-and-the-angler/
    The pink got the most hits but they kept coming back with the tails missing and between myself and the fish i ran out of them quick enough. For quality control purposes I had to eat one myself every time i put one on the hook. The purple got no interest at all. Yellow an orange got the odd hit with just the one fish landed on the yellow.
    Good craic and it was something different anyway. Ill be stocking up the next time i see the €1 for a bag offer in the shop.:D:D

That would suit me as I prefer the purple ones myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

just sorting out the pics on phone , these are the fish i kept this year so far mainly for the bbq:D returned 10 also so not having a bad enough year

Nice fish but pity about the Munster Jersey :)

• Advertisement

Nice fish but pity about the Munster Jersey :)

I actually don't even watch them or care about rugby In the slightest ha , I normally gets one as a present for Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Eddie B

popsy09 wrote: »
    I actually don't even watch them or care about rugby In the slightest ha , I normally gets one as a present for Xmas

Are those outfits specially designed to attract salmon, and entice them to take your bait? Or is it just bad fashion?
    If so, it really works! :-)

Well done lad, some crack in fish there!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Some pics from France. Was a mix of wild brown trout and rainbows from both streams and lakes. Was hoping to catch an Arctic Char but never encountered any. Should have a little video soon enough as well.
    ZQ4ojMb.jpg
    nItje1u.png
    EswGWIV.jpg
    kc1P0gH.jpg
    2QU4kjT.jpg
    H8XsLMk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

popsy09 wrote: »
    just sorting out the pics on phone , these are the fish i kept this year so far mainly for the bbq:D returned 10 also so not having a bad enough year

Some cracking fish well done. What weight was the biggest? What river you fishing?

slaneylad wrote: »
    Some cracking fish well done. What weight was the biggest? What river you fishing?

fishing the river blackwater , some were got well up the river early in season the biggest was just over 14lb caught about 3 weeks ago

You were right red twas blue shark & not tope we were goin after,hadnt a great day but managed this small lad,went near land for last hour & had ling,pollach,cod,cookoo wrasse,even an octopus........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You were right red twas blue shark & not tope we were goin after,hadnt a great day but managed this small lad,went near land for last hour & had ling,pollach,cod,cookoo wrasse,even an octopus........

A nice one for your species list. Well done.

Lucky fcuker ya. I wouldn't say it's small. Blue shark wouldn't be the biggest harks out there anyway. How did you catch it? Balloon on surface job?

What coast was that

Blue sharks on light gear is some fun

I'm sure I have a few pics in this thread of some I got they were measured and using a scale they were close to 100lb

• Advertisement

Ya balloon on surface, out from near kinsale. yourman we out with had 3 couple days before that ,one around 60lb he said & 2 over 100. Mighty craic on light tackle,

Ya balloon on surface, out from near kinsale. yourman we out with had 3 couple days before that ,one around 60lb he said & 2 over 100. Mighty craic on light tackle,
    Good stuff. Had ye any hassle getting macks for bait? Ive heard of boats filling up in 20mins one day and spending an hour searching for a dozen the next day.

No problem getting machs on way out. Had a dozen it 3 or 4 drops of feathers,thats all we needed. Lad we were with said twas black with them inshore 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

A short video from my trip to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭dmc17

Fish01_zpsfabc708d.png

Not even a perch on the float so this fella made us leave happyjack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

dmc17

Is that edible? Or do you put them back?

Also what are the size rules like? anyone got any useful links? Got the bug for sea fishing recently, but I'm one of thoe fellas who likes to eat what they catch, out the sea, in the cleaner parts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭dmc17

dmc17

Also what are the size rules like? anyone got any useful links? Got the bug for sea fishing recently, but I'm one of thoe fellas who likes to eat what they catch, out the sea, in the cleaner parts anyway.

I'm not sure. Google doesn't throw up too many recipes so I wouldn't be inclined to eat it. I just put them back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

dmc17

Saw lads catch an eel on the canal right in front of my house last night (inchicore) and was thinking the same thing - could I eat it?

she caught it on a 5 euro pound shop fishing rod btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

a148pro wrote: »
    Saw lads catch an eel on the canal right in front of my house last night (inchicore) and was thinking the same thing - could I eat it?

she caught it on a 5 euro pound shop fishing rod btw!

Easy answer....NO you can't eat it. Fishing for Eel is currently prohibited. Relevant legislation below:

1. (1) This Bye-law may be cited as the Conservation of Eel Fishing Bye-law No.
    C.S. 312, 2012.
    (2) This Bye-law comes into operation on the day of its making and ceases to have effect
    on 30 June 2015.

1 OJ No. L248, 22.09.2007, p.17.. (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any bye-law fixing the annual close season,
    it is prohibited for a person -
    (a) to take, or attempt to take, or to fish for or to attempt to fish for, or to
    aid or assist in the taking or fishing for, eel, or
    (b) to be in possession of or sell or offer for sale eel caught by any means,
    in any fishery district.
    (2) In this Article “eel” means eel of the species Anguilla anguilla.

Advertisement