Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spluttering ford fiesta in the heart of Galway

Options
  • 13-07-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hello to all.
    My girlfriend bought a 97 1.3 ford fiesta and was getting on great (taking some driving lessons etc).
    One day it was very low in petrol, so her father gave it a fill from a can of petrol stored in his garage.
    When started the next day, it kept spluttering and dying.
    Probably, dirty fuel.
    I was told the fuel filter is near the rear wheels and is like a silver canister.
    If I remove this.....
    1. will the car start to leak fuel like mad.
    2. can the filter be blown out or washed with clean petrol.

Thanking you all for your advice in advance.
    I think the girlfriend should have picked a mechanic not a gardener.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

1, No
    2, No

It should leak a little, the pump will be before the filter so there may be a bit of petrol in the lines but not much. You'd be better off getting a new filter, should be much more than €10-€20 euro for one from a factors and would be better than trying to clean the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Quick reply and to the point, thank you mloc123.
    I hope it is a fuel problem only.
    If it is something to do with a carberrator (correct spelling?) or otherwise, I think it will be beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

car should be fuel injected so no carbourettor

Advertisement