Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning

Options
  • 13-07-2006 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

would the alco wipes (patches impregnated with isopropanol)be ok to use cleaning a gun

would they be better than the ordinary patches for .22lr

Desinf5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Isopropanol is rather flammable to be putting down the barrel of a rifle, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Pretty much all barrely cleaning materials (with the exception of the ammonia based ones) are highly flammable. The real question would be whether the isopropanol solvent would be effective on barrel fouling materials. Whilst it probably would be effective on the grease and power, it wouldn't do much on the metal fouling, I reckon - though this sounds like a perfect excuse for some experimentation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Isopropyl alcohol is flammable but it vapourises very rapidly leaving no flammable residue,the only real risk of setting yourself on fire is if you do something stupid like light a fag when you're using the stuff.Its certainly very good at shifting grease and anything oil-based but pretty useless on ptches of rust or heavy lead fouling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

Isopropyl alcohol-
    A clear, colorless, flammable, mobile liquid used in antifreeze compounds, in lotions and cosmetics, and as a solvent for gums, shellac, and essential oils.
    Always a good idea to have some of the patches with you at the range or even in the tool box for that matter.
    gums, shellac, and essential oils
    I reckon it's time to run some patches through my Nagant and see what happens.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Good also for minor cut sterilisation,cleaning some type of lenses,a quick type of fire lighter if you want to light the camp fire,tempoary relif from mosquito bites.A useful little addy in every shoters ditty bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

For what it’s worth I ran some patches with rubbing alcohol through my Nagant. The usual crud came out on the patches.
    Can’t say it’s any cleaner but if it had an infection it’ll be all better.

Now the odor in my cleaning box reminds me of a garage at a doctors office.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would always try and use a gun oil over alcohol, you only want to remove a little bit of powder residue and lead, and the use of alcohol which removes oil/grease thereby removing protection from rust.
    I was always told that you shouldn't clean .22 LR barrels more than every 18 months, the fouling is only soft lead and doesn't do any harm unlike copper fouling in say .22 WMR or higher calibres, and that after cleaning it will take a few rounds before your group settles down again.
    On my 12 G I run the phosphor bronze brush soaked in gun oil down the barrel a few times, then with the wooden handle of the cleaning rod I push a single piece of toilet paper down the barrel until they come out clean then a swab with the mop saturated in gun oil.
    Job done till next time.

CJhaughey wrote:
    I would always try and use a gun oil over alcohol, you only want to remove a little bit of powder residue and lead, and the use of alcohol which removes oil/grease thereby removing protection from rust.
    I was always told that you shouldn't clean .22 LR barrels more than every 18 months, the fouling is only soft lead and doesn't do any harm unlike copper fouling in say .22 WMR or higher calibres, and that after cleaning it will take a few rounds before your group settles down again.
    On my 12 G I run the phosphor bronze brush soaked in gun oil down the barrel a few times, then with the wooden handle of the cleaning rod I push a single piece of toilet paper down the barrel until they come out clean then a swab with the mop saturated in gun oil.
    Job done till next time.

I clean my 0.22lr before and after every shoot, and I have seen quite a few top international shoots doing the same..

I clean it with Jags and oil, I only ever use solvent every once in a while or if I forgot to clean it.
    After cleaning, I run a well oiled jag through the barrel, and I have not ever had a problem with rust..

Advertisement