Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding secured to redevelop Belfield Bowl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

why is there no MOVE to get more books, no protests to the admin block?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Poor Student, that's absolutely fantastic news but do you know whether the revamped Bowl will be ready in time for the new FAI Premiership in 2007? I'd hate to think the FAI would use an excuse of an incomplete ground to place Rovers in the league at UCD's expense.
    Hurray!

Now, I'm sure more books in the library is next on their list.

When has Sports Grants ever got to do with supplying college books? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Poor Student

Poor Student, that's absolutely fantastic news but do you know whether the revamped Bowl will be ready in time for the new FAI Premiership in 2007? I'd hate to think the FAI would use an excuse of an incomplete ground to place Rovers in the league at UCD's expense.

Zane, I have no idea. The conspiracy theorist in me says that UCD will be screwed and not to the detriment of any big club. It's all about helping the big clubs.

Zane is spot on, what have grants given by the Dept. of Sport got to do with the library?

Zane, I have no idea. The conspiracy theorist in me says that UCD will be screwed and not to the detriment of any big club. It's all about helping the big clubs.

Sadly it's a conspiracy theory shared by me too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Personally i welcome this. This grant counld be good enough to help UCD retain their top division status.

As has been said the sports grants go for sports, so your sarcasm is wasted on this thread "Pretty Monster"

A good stadia willhelp attract more and more individuals to the club and it will allow UCD AFC move forward

The grant has nothing to do with books, and wil never be used on books, no matter how much we want it to

I want to see Irish soccer move forward and its only through investment that it can move forward. Irish soccer is an impoverished wasteland, and this stunts the growth of the national team

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote:
    Personally i welcome this. This grant counld be good enough to help UCD retain their top division status.

As has been said the sports grants go for sports, so your sarcasm is wasted on this thread "Pretty Monster"

A good stadia willhelp attract more and more individuals to the club and it will allow UCD AFC move forward

The grant has nothing to do with books, and wil never be used on books, no matter how much we want it to

I want to see Irish soccer move forward and its only through investment that it can move forward. Irish soccer is an impoverished wasteland, and this stunts the growth of the national team

Exactly, well said.

If you are complaining of a lack of books in the library blame it on the lack of government funding and/or the college authorities disgusting waste of funds on the likes of Brady's gym *shudders*

UCD AFC are a credit to this college, a credit to Irish football and deserve this sporting grant more than anyone. They run under a strict limited budget and and they're one of the few eL clubs living within their means..... that is an outstanding achievement in the current climate. No grant for this ground = UCD AFC is kicked out of top flight Irish football and that would be a tragedy.

This has nothing to do with the academic side of this college and it should be left at that.

Exactly, well said.

If you are complaining of a lack of books in the library blame it on the lack of government funding and/or the college authorities disgusting waste of funds on the likes of Brady's gym *shudders*

UCD AFC are a credit to this college, a credit to Irish football and deserve this sporting grant more than anyone. They run under a strict limited budget and and they're one of the few eL clubs living within their means..... that is an outstanding achievement in the current climate. No grant for this ground = UCD AFC is kicked out of top flight Irish football and that would be a tragedy.

This has nothing to do with the academic side of this college and it should be left at that.

In all fairness that thing obout Brady's gym was blown way out of proportion. He didnt use the funds to pay for treadmills, bikes, weights etc, it was used for building and renovating. It was just that Labour Youth at the time picked up on the gym thing and used it to whip up support for the protest. wHICH INCIDENTALLY I AGREED WITH. I am not condoning the use of the money for such a frivilious project.

But its good too see a bit of govt money going to our soccer team who just six years ago were in Europen drawing with teams from Bulgaria

I do. But it's a disgrace that money for sports seems easier to come by than money towards our eduction.

Ah come on, how is that a disgrace ? Sports play a vital role for the country, and the money that is generated can be invested in all sorts of ventures, including education.

Sports are also just as important. They provide for exercise, mental health and entertainment. The governements investiture in that, as opposed to education, is not a disgrace. Its key that all sports in Ireland are promoted, weather its through decent stadia (which there is an awful lack of), decent training facilities, governement sponsored training etc.

Investment in sports can also be key for tourism. Events like the Special Olympics provided a much needed boost in Ireland. Furthermore the money spent on the national hockey stadium in UCD has attracted both the men's and women's European Championship, and the 1994 Womens Hockey WoRLD CuP. Ireland was also used during the 1991 and 1999 Rugby World Cup, where we hosted Australia (the eventual winners), USA, Argentina and France. Investiture in sports also gave Ireland the steel to launch a joint bid with Scotland for the 2008European Football Chamionships, which would have been a real coup had we been selected.

Finally it increases national moral in a country to see your national sports teams do well. As Sean Lemass once said a "rising tide lifts all boats". This is highly applicable to sports, Ireland and the antion in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

That's great news.

Anyone know how it will look when it's done, or what work is going to be done?

That's great news.

Anyone know how it will look when it's done, or what work is going to be done?

Not too sure. It has to have a minimum of 1,500 covered seats though. It should be complete for the 2007 soccer season which starts in March.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I sure hope it has more than 1500 though if people are to go to it.UCD has 22,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

Grimes wrote:
    why is there no MOVE to get more books, no protests to the admin block?

because we dont actually need more books? seriously are there not enough, i mean look at the libe at the minute... theres not enough room on the shelves in almost every area... And the dust off of them!

This Belfield Bowl Funding is needed. We are one of the top educational institutions in the country with regards sport, and this should be upheld. College isnt all about learning either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

actually with the book thing, it isn't really feasible to have one book of ever book per student available when they are needed. Which is usually around essay time. Its a pain in the ass leaving work untill the last minute and there is no books left but thats just the way it is. But more on topic Im glad to see such sports improvements in UCD . College Pride People!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

pretty*monster - please stay on-topic.

Irrelevant Posts removed

Chakar wrote:
    I sure hope it has more than 1500 though if people are to go to it.UCD has 22,000 people.

Chakar, if you went to any games, you'd realise 1,500 is more than enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

now how about that swimming pool? is that plan still in progess? They had all those useless flyers about the new student centre with swimming pool.Will they actually build it?

recyclebin wrote:
    now how about that swimming pool? is that plan still in progess? They had all those useless flyers about the new student centre with swimming pool.Will they actually build it?

AFAIK they've increased the su fee by about E15 this year so can only presume they're pressing ahead with it. Remember the swimming pool is coming from the students pockets and not the college/grants pockets as in the case with the belfield superbowl

off topic: registration fee this year is 1,000 ****ing euros :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Good news, PS; I shudder to think that Zane's fears would prove correct. It'd be such bullspit if they tried to boot UCD out of top flight football because of an incomplete stadium, especially given how well they do to live within their means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thats great and really needed to be done. Are they going to make it a joint soccer/rugby/gaa stadium?Would be great to have a few stands so we could watch the gaa games.The rugby one isnt so bad at the moment,Theres one stand at least.Have never been to a ucd soccer match but would probably go if there was a nice covered stand.

Are the UCD soccer players students actual students?
    Do they get paid?

Panda, UCD soccer club have a covered stand with seats already!

Some players are students on scholarships but others are just part timers with other jobs. They all get paid. Come along and check the team out. Next home game is on Saturday the 29th at 5:15, UCD v Bohemians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I'm relyably informed that there'll be a new issue of STIG out for the Boh's' game.

Advertisement