Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Mobile Tariffs

• 13-07-2006 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

After the last few days in Sligo, and some expensive phonecalls from my northern bought '3' mobile.. I decided to find a tariff which will allow me to call freely and easily no matter where abouts i am in ireland.

But my search was incredibly dissapointing - -

Call me naive, but i thought that it would be easy enough to get an all ireland tariff in this day and age.
    But it appears that the mobile phone companies seem fairly keen on keeping the border firmly drawn. (it seems to suit them in a fiscal fashion)

Well I found this article on the SDLP website :
    all-ireland mobile

Hmm, so it appears that politicians north and south are badgering the "service" providers about it, primarily to sort out the "inadvertent roaming" for border phone users.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of cheap services which are available i'd really appreciate a tip.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well I found this article on the SDLP website :
    all-ireland mobile

Hmm, so it appears that politicians north and south are badgering the "service" providers about it, primarily to sort out the "inadvertent roaming" for border phone users.

I always laugh at politicians in this country going on about it as if the problem is exclusive to ourselves.. What do the people in mainland Europe do about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

3 allow you to use half your billpay inclusive miinutes to call to, or from the North (or UK). If you go over that amount it's national rate.

I was in London in May and used my phone and still didn't go over my minutes so it worked for me.

Not sure about their 'threepay' policy on 'all Ireland' though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 An.fear.bocht

What do the people in mainland Europe do about it..

TBH I'm talking about it from an irish point of view because i live here..

But your absolutely right, I've just read an article in which the EU Telecoms Commissioner has been complaining about the extortionate charges imposed..

It does seem that there is definate political pressure in a European common market aspect to get the charges reduced.

"small and medium-sized companies suffer from the substantial cost factor when doing business within the single market" - Redding, EU Tele Commissioner.

Re: jam man, My threepay works well, in that it changes to the '3irl' without any problem and it gets a fairly good signal everywhere, but i noticed it was charging me for receiving calls and the usual roaming nonsense, I'll look into 3's contract prices. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

if you are a voda subscriber you can sign up for passport, that includes no roaming charges (for postpaid) for calls made anywhere within ireland.

pay monthly:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/international/paymonthly/passport/index.jsp

prepaid:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/international/prepaid/passport/index.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Well living in a border area myself I know first hand, I go into my kitchen and im with VF Ireland , I go to the back of the house im suddenly on T-Mobile and get a sms saying welcome to the UK!!!

To be honest sometimes I use it to my advantage and use my UK sim for UK calls and Irish one for calls here . O2 have free incomming roaming calls for speakeasy customers where as VF still charge a connection fee (correct me if Im wrong) I think its 39c. I dont mind paying 79c for one off fee on VF passport when in Europe and 59c for UK but I dont think we should have to pay it in the same country!!!

The guy who was saying about continental Europe has a point but it is not the situation here as the North South Irish problem is unique here. Some things its treated as one Island and others its not. If you are born in the North you can be Irish and British where as if you are born on the French/German border you are either one or the other.

The ideal situation would be that you could access all Northern and Southern mobile companies anywhere on the island. So you would have one mast with all operators sharing it . VF Ireland would have a mast in Belfast and VF UK would have a mast in Dublin , dont know if this is possible just an idea. The EU is calling for all roaming charges to be slashed by upto 70% and this should happen in a year but I dont think it will affect here as it has already been addressed and our roaming charges are lowest in EU between North South. O2 are the best for prepay at present for receiving a call whilst in NI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement