Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General cost of cobblelock?

Options
  • 13-07-2006 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm trying to figure out if a quote we got for cobblelocking our driveway is okay while waiting for other quotes to slowly come in. Can anyone tell me what they paid for the average 3 bed semi driveway to be cobblelocked - we're not cobbling the whole driveway just enough for 2 cars. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A number of elements will have a bearing on price eg site conditions, gradient, existing surface/excavation requirements, overall area size, material specification, any special finishes requirements etc etc.

But leaving that aside, price will range from € 35/m2 - € 70 m2. Lower price will include basic cobblelock on grit base, higher price will be a tumbled paviour (much superior finish) laid on a more substantive base including 3 layers.

Labour + ground prep are the key elements, and generally most falling short on the ground prep!!

Avoid making the front a complete car park, remember it can still be a garden no matter how dominant the parking area may be, but with a little imagination and careful selection of some appropriate plants you can still create a nice garden within a postage stamp.

Wall to wall cobblelock is a visual disaster and should be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

Thanks Sonnenblumen, yes we want to retain as much as our lawn as possible, I'm also not a fan of too much cobblelock.

Interested in difference between different preparation of ground. Would you mind explaining what you mean by the following a bit more so I know what we're looking for.

"tumbled paviour (much superior finish) laid on a more substantive base including 3 layers"

I'm conscious that cobblelocking is so popular now there could be a lot of "cowboys" in the business so I'd like to know how to pick a good company.

Thanks

Advertisement