Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car speaker for computer?

Options
  • 13-07-2006 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

hi,
    just wondering if its possible to use car speakers for a computer speakers. has anyone done this or seen anything like it on the web, i did a search but came up with nothing.
    i was thinking of 2x200watt speakers, and a powered amp but im not sure of what specifically be needed to be done.
    would you know if i need certain types of car speakers?
    i can have enclosures made for the speakers but i need to have everything else sorted first.
    thanks, all feedback and info appreciated!
    sm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm sure you could, are you pimpin' your computer or something? :)

The audio output from your computer will consist of a line level stereo signal out of a 3.5mm minijack socket. As long as the amplifier for your car speakers can accept a line level signal as its input you'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

no pimpin' its just that i have an imac g5 with built in speakers in the bottom but the sound level is only ok, i want something to wake the neighbours. but i also dont want a big 2.1 system. so im gonna have the casing built to give a few inches of air to push. rather than you average litre or two on a stock set of speakers for home entertainment, i want entertainment for the neighbourhood. fun for all the family and then some :)
    if anyone else has some info i'd appreciate it.
    i'll throw up an idea of what the casing might look like tonight.
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

99% of the time, they'll sound shyte. Theres a big science in building a speaker enclosure. Why not just get a hiend hifi amp and speakers? If you just put 2x200w woofers (i doubt thats RMS if its for a car) It'll sound muffled, you'd need a couple of HF drivers too for decent sound, provided you get the cab structure spot on and read up on the different effects of different shaped cabs

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

$hit,
    i'll do a bit of research so. see if i can come to a compromise.
    i'll let ye know what i come up with.
    thanks again
    :cool:

Advertisement