Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There should be an "Experimental" music forum

Options
  • 13-07-2006 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

That's what I think, a place to talk about experimental music, both discussing existing songs/artists and discussing how people are making it themselves. So there ya go, thats my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

well depending on what you mean by "Experemental" music you could probably disscuss it on the Alternative/Indie board, there is already to much segmentation of music soon we will have a "Proto Funk Post Shoegaze Sadcore" forum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'll gladly welcome any experimental music in Alt/Indie. Experimental music being mostly independent and an alternative to "normal" music I think it fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Kind of like sound art and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Yeah kind of, music made with stuff not specifically designed for making music with, and things like that.
    The problem with the alternative/Indie forum is that these terms have come to mean a specific style of music and not just music made by independant bands or people making alternate music, alternate these days kind of means something else to what it should mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah kind of, music made with stuff not specifically designed for making music with, and things like that.
    The problem with the alternative/Indie forum is that these terms have come to mean a specific style of music and not just music made by independant bands or people making alternate music, alternate these days kind of means something else to what it should mean.

Agreed.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point. Alvin Lucier and John Cage don't really fit with Arctic Monkeys and Smashing Pumpkins.

Suggested it in the Forums forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

That's what I think, a place to talk about experimental music, both discussing existing songs/artists and discussing how people are making it themselves. So there ya go, thats my opinion.

I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I'm all for it, I'm always trying to expand my musical horizons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Hmm....Well, what do we define as experimental??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Hmm....Well, what do we define as experimental??

well, making music with things other than musical instruments would be a big part in my opinion, there are plenty of other things to include in the area of Experimental music which could be included aswell, like using musical instruments in a way they wernt intended to be used. basicaly anything that's unusual and new and different and crazy

Anything the Wire covers that isn't jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I would deem Laurie Anderson an ideal artist of this ilk for discussion (don't know who she is? Google her. I'm technically retarded and don't know how to create a hyperlink). She has created music with car sounds among others. O Superman which, bizarrely, reached number 2 in the UK charts in 1981 is a magnificent piece of work.

I don't like Anderson but yeah, she fits the bill. Even bits of Lou Reed (her husband) like Metal Machine Music and any of his guitar playing on VU's White Light, White Heat. Personally, should such a forum exist, I think it should be as wide as possible.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, please add your opinion to the thread in Forums so the admins will pay attention to it and hopefully our dreams can come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I think the best thing to do would be to split the Alt/Indie board into pop-indie and "other", with a stickied topic with a list of band names that fit in the forum as a general guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I think the best thing to do would be to split the Alt/Indie board into pop-indie and "other", with a stickied topic with a list of band names that fit in the forum as a general guide.

Nah, that's going a bit too far.

And I'd go mad moving posts around as some people just don't read charters and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Would The Flaming Lips be counted? What with their Parking Lot/Boombox experiments and [url=-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaireeka]Zaireeka[/url]? I'm a huge Lips fan, wondering if they'd count. If The Lips don't count, I'm not sure if I've listened to anything experimental, but it sounds really interesting.

I think that element of the Lips certainly is experimental (only in the last couple of years have I seen any other bands move in the same direction of multi-disc albums). Once an artist (any artist) does anything experimental, it's fair game.

EDIT: Please post your opinions in any case on this thread, the admins probably won't look at this one to make their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Sw33t :D

[Edit: Bit of an embarrasing top-of-the-page post...]

• Advertisement
Advertisement