Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is rock n'roll dying

• 14-07-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering is rock music in a serious state of decline, or do people care ?
    or is it just me as i get older and head for middle age !!

Where are todays Elvis, Stones, Beatles , Iggy Pop ...
    God forbid where are todays Oasis , Stone Roses , Nirvana ?

With Oxegen reported as an overpriced money making exercise for MCD , U2 flogging ipods , and Raps culture of bling .... is there a place for the true spirit of Rock nRoll, or will it become filed along with jazz ,as an old obsession of the late 20th century ?
    The only new music that does anything for me is the Arcade Fire .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

U2 proved to be the biggest crowd of shills ever flogging iPods...

The only decent rock band out there now has got to be Radiohead. Cant actually think of any others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

is rock n'roll dying

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i do believe it's still there, it's just that you have to look for it now more so than ever.

during the times of the bands you mentioned, they were at the top of their game and were everywhere, eg, nirvana were played on mtv. now mtv has changed and don't play music :rolleyes:

the likes of arcade fire type bands are still there, they just have to be found.

www.pandora.com is good for finding similar artists.

people will follow whats being pushed upon them and it seems that the gansta/rap or whatever you want to label it is selling so they won't stop it until it stops making money for them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It can't die as long as long as Sandi Thom still wishes she was a punk rocker with flowers in her hair. It just can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Rock and Roll has always been a question of definition. Bands like KISS for instance would be classed a hard rock bands but they class themselves a a rock and roll band for instance.

There are too many boxes in which to put music nowadays imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

will we ever see a revolution like punk, from way back in 1977?
    hip/hop and Rap have left there mark , but something new needs to happen now , otherwise i fear modern music will follow top of the pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Rock and Roll has always been a question of definition. Bands like KISS for instance would be classed a hard rock bands but they class themselves a a rock and roll band for instance.

There are too many boxes in which to put music nowadays imho.

kiss? hard rock?, your on crack.

kiss are glam rock, and they is shizite to the mizax, word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

As with Disco, it will never die - It just goes into The Witness Protection Program for a while and emerges with a new identity.

the Internet is a blessing and a boon. It is killing CD sales.
    But it is also helping us open doors to find more listening choices that we would normally never stumble across.
    It is also breaking up the record companies that have been making money off of other people's talents for decades.
    Anybody can record these days and put it out there for all to see. We just need to know where to look.

L4L

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

This is a pretty obvious no. There are several bands in this weeks Irish top 10 albums which fall under the wide umbrella of rock music. Maybe there aren't many rock bands around that you personally like. But that's hardly grounds to say the genre is dying. The term 'rock' is far too widely encompassing to ever die really.

What is it about the bands you've mentioned that makes them so much better than anything around today? Primarily, it's that they've stood the test of time and become classics, representing the apex of their genres. How can we say now who the bands from the present who will be remembered so well will be? We can only speculate. It also stems from the fact that they had huge popularity in their time.
    U2s immense popularity will certainly earn them a place of respect. (Though I personally can't see what the fuss is about.) I would hope Radiohead will be remembered as one of the greatest bands of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Rock/Metal ftw tbh.

Oh and just to emphasise the point, thread moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

U2 proved to be the biggest crowd of shills ever flogging iPods...

The only decent rock band out there now has got to be Radiohead. Cant actually think of any others.
    Radiohead are nowhere near a Rock band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nothing ever dies. It simply moves out of the public eye.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I hate the rock genre, die by my bath'leth!
    I find maybe one or two songs max to be good by any 'rock' band.
    What are good ones these days for the masses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Rock 'n' Roll isn't dying, but dying is Rock 'n' Roll.

Which means Rock 'n' Roll can never die. It would only perpetuate its very essence by doing so. :)
    wrote:
    Radiohead are nowhere near a Rock band.
    The hell you talkin' bout? I can only assume you actually mean they transcend the genre. Otherwise, you're just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Theres a very good garage rock band in dublin called The Last Call. There really good kinda gritty punk influenced garage rock in the form of iggy and the stooges.

http://www.myspace.com/thelastcallishere

Theres also a very cool band called The Dangerfields who are in the hi-octane rock kinda genre.
    http://www.myspace.com/thedangerfields

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Nothing ever dies. It simply moves out of the public eye.

spot on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

A long, long time ago...
    I can still remember
    How that music used to make me smile.
    And I knew if I had my chance
    That I could make those people dance
    And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

But february made me shiver
    With every paper I’d deliver.
    Bad news on the doorstep;
    I couldn’t take one more step.

I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about his widowed bride,
    But something touched me deep inside
    The day the music died.

more

Don Mclean re. Buddy Holly's untimely death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The hell you talkin' bout? I can only assume you actually mean they transcend the genre. Otherwise, you're just wrong.

tbh, I agree with him.

Radiohead USED TO BE a rock (and roll) band, but they changed into ... er ... something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

As Kiss once told us, God put Rock and Roll in the soul of everyone. So brother and sisters, once you keep totally rockin out in your heart, no rap video shall ever harm your spirit. Amen.....amen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Meh, I've found that the publics view of Rock 'N Roll has changed in the last number of years. Nowadays its all (imho) ****e, commerically orientated generic sounding "indie" rock bands who claim they're hardcore rock and roll and all those other "lame" "emo, screamo, metal and guitar shredder bands" are terrible. Personally I can't stand a single one of them and the prefix "The" over the past few years has become my own warning sign to such music. When I want to get my rock n' roll fix I'll just slap on some AC/DC, sure its old but until something better comes along I'm happy where I am. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

Some bands I do like at the moment who might be considered rock are, Arcade Fire, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Belle and Sebastian, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Fugazi and Sigur Ros. Though those are often classed as 'alternative' which I think might be the sh1ttest genre of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

It can't really die as mentioned already. It may just not take up such a large portion of the music avialable.

The music industry is totally different now so you will never get one major artist conquring all like Elvis etc...

You also need to remeber Elvis and the Beatles were not actually all dominating and conquring. Pat Boone, Dean Martin etc... were still selling very well at the same time. Media tend to change what happened in the past. Punk was not as big as made out, in the 70s Prog Rock was far out selling punk when it was apparently dead and punk rulled, in fact prog rock sold more than ever in the years punk was apparently rulling.

Rock n' Roll is pretty much gone anyway if you listen to the music now compared with Chuck Berry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Check out Porcupine Tree. Give the song "Blackest Eyes" a listen to. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Muse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Check out Porcupine Tree. Give the song "Blackest Eyes" a listen to. ;)
    Great intro but then it descended to mildly generic "modern rock" for the verses and chorus. Still enjoyable though, ta for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Chinese Democracy is out around August/September next year.

From the leaks it sounds like it'll be good.

I don't think it's a case of rock music dying, I think it's more a case of the amount of talented artists in the mainstream, "MTV" market declining because it's more profitable for record companies to have mediocre, easily disposable bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Great intro but then it descended to mildly generic "modern rock" for the verses and chorus.

Agreed. The intro sounds like a different song, they were probably going for that effect but it didn't do anything for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

Meh, I've found that the publics view of Rock 'N Roll has changed in the last number of years. Nowadays its all (imho) ****e, commerically orientated generic sounding "indie" rock bands who claim they're hardcore rock and roll and all those other "lame" "emo, screamo, metal and guitar shredder bands" are terrible. Personally I can't stand a single one of them and the prefix "The" over the past few years has become my own warning sign to such music. When I want to get my rock n' roll fix I'll just slap on some AC/DC, sure its old but until something better comes along I'm happy where I am. :)

live and let die :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Muse.

Oh yes. :) Muse are the shining light for rock these days for me.
    Far too many scarf-wearing NME bands around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Crucifix wrote:
    As Kiss once told us, God put Rock and Roll in the soul of everyone. amen.

Actually it was Argent who told us that

rock 'n' roll dying? Its dead :)

*pokes rock n roll with a stick*

Advertisement