Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vodafone 3g broadband

• 14-07-2006 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone tell me the download speeds that can be achieved using their 3g card in a laptop? How does it compare to DSL etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Have you seen this thread ? That woman seems happy enough maybe she would be the best person to tell you since she is not living in the best location for other types of wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's 384kbps or something of that order now, 1.2Mbps in some or all 3G areas when HSDPA is rolled out, which is going to happen in the next couple of months apparently.

3G is not going to be an ADSL killer, but it sure is better than dialup. Also excellent if you have roaming requirements, of course. The service works in 2G areas also, obviously at much lower speeds. I think around 50kbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Bond-007 wrote:
    can anyone tell me the download speeds that can be achieved using their 3g card in a laptop? How does it compare to DSL etc?

Good review here:

http://eirepreneur.blogs.com/eirepreneur/2006/07/the_verdict_on_.html

BTW -

Is there no other way to determine if a decent 3G reception exists in a given area without actually getting the vodafone card in the first place?

Watch out for hardware incompatibility with the new range of PCMCIA connections with some new Dell/HP laptops with the vodafone card....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

[QUOTE=GoneShootin
    Is there no other way to determine if a decent 3G reception exists in a given area without actually getting the vodafone card in the first place?
    [/QUOTE]

I guess it's a bit like buying a mobile phone, you have no real guarantee that it will work in a given location. Vodafone has a rough 3G coverage map on their site which gives some indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

[
    BTW -

Watch out for hardware incompatibility with the new range of PCMCIA connections with some new Dell/HP laptops with the vodafone card....

On the comreg site you can find a site map to all the mobile antenna in the country... and then you can get a description if they are gsm 900-1800 2.5 g vodafone 02 meteor etc. etc.. you could look up your are and work it out pretty good yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Even if you're in an orange area, you can problem get it with the data card. Here's my experience with the orange area on Vodafone's map: reception is spotty on the ground with a normal 3G phone, however with the data card, at least once you put it in the right location of your house, the signal is very strong and it works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

hi all,

living in glasnevin dublin, just goyt vodafone 3g modem today, download 768 upload 314 according to speedtest.ie, hope it continues had ripwave was off 50 per cent of the time. landlady wont allow mast on roof , dont want phoneline so this one of the few options available to me

Andy

Advertisement