Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastercard "fraud" policys

Options
  • 14-07-2006 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what it takes to report something as "fraud" with Mastercard?

Couple of us were away on holidays in Denmark .. had a hotel booked with deposit paid ... (so they had my credit card details).

We got to the hotel and the conditions were simply unacceptable (smell, peeling walls, broken doors, exposed electrics, etc).

We left. The lady at the desk said we'd have to pay for the first night. We said we wouldn't. She rang someone and came off the phone and said "ok, you can go".

I check now and my credit card has been charged for the first night, although we didn't stay.

Would Mastercard accept this as fraud? It was understood to us that we wouldn't be charged and yet we were ... the conditions in the hotel were below poor.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try contacting the travel agent or the hotel again first, give them the details. How long were you there before you found the room unacceptable and why didnt you just ask for a new room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Make a complaint. The bank will then ask the hotel for transaction verification. If they can't produce a signed reciept then its fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

ciaranfo wrote:
    Does anyone know what it takes to report something as "fraud" with Mastercard?

Couple of us were away on holidays in Denmark .. had a hotel booked with deposit paid ... (so they had my credit card details).

We got to the hotel and the conditions were simply unacceptable (smell, peeling walls, broken doors, exposed electrics, etc).

We left. The lady at the desk said we'd have to pay for the first night. We said we wouldn't. She rang someone and came off the phone and said "ok, you can go".

I check now and my credit card has been charged for the first night, although we didn't stay.

Would Mastercard accept this as fraud? It was understood to us that we wouldn't be charged and yet we were ... the conditions in the hotel were below poor.

Any suggestions ?
    Contact your bank and complain that there is an unauthorised charge. The hotel then has to prove the charge was authorised either by pin pad or by signature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

We were there 30 mins (the time it took 2 of the lads to run down the road and find another place to stay).

We had 2 rooms for our group and they were both below par.

Do I just ring the regular AIB credit card line then? Or do I need to go to ring or contact a special dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

your agreement is with AIB, not MasterCard, so you call AIB, use the number on your monthly statement

as for the hotel gotta ask was it only EUR 10 per night (or something equally low in the local context) maybe it was low quality exactly because it was cheap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I suspect that on check in you would have signed a credit card slip or entered your pin as a deposit. I would think the charge would hold up if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Tell your bank that the transaction was unauthorised and they will instigate a chargeback. It is then up to the merchant to prove that the transaction was authorised. Depends if you presented your card at all to the merchant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Booked through Hostel Mania who pass on details to the hotel. The charge for the first night policy is apparent on the website, but the hotel was unacceptable.

We left with the understanding that we would not have to pay.

There is a signup in their "reception" saying they don't take credit cards ...

Rang AIB card services - said I had slim to no chance of a charge back :/

Will be following it up with the hotel and then back to AIB again if no resolution.

Advertisement