Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Challange mile markers

• 14-07-2006 8:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Did any of you think that the mile markers were slightly off on Sunday in the Park? Particularly the 3 mile marker which seemed to be early.

Apart from that it was a great day out!!! Shame the weather wasn't great.

Domer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

i did it and 3 to 4 seemed to be way off. I thought mile 1 was the one that was out.

I was caught behind a slow bunch who took over the whole road and went very slowly and i still did the first mile in around 7.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TimG

To be honest, they seemed to be spot on, are ya sure the hill didn't put you off a bit. I dropped back from oxegen to run it, which wasn't fun, I donno how I got up sunday morning. Comer, I have to agree with ya, Its so annoying when slow runners are too far up the front. The Bupa10k was ridiculous, I was about 5 metres back from the start and well up from the sub 40min section, and I spent my first mile weaving through walkers and joggers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I agree with Domer, I thought the last mile was a little long.

Although I did think the wind at 2 miles was what knocked people back. I think everyone was about a minute off their usual time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

I had a bad day at the office at that run, I was about 2 minutes off where i wanted to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Glad to hear I wasn't the only person to run slower then expected. I ran close to a minute slower then I ran in raheny in February, and i am in much better shape then i was 6 months ago. I think the wind and the hills definitely took its toll.

So what can the organisers do to get people to start where they should, and not at the front? Before the race I looked at last years results, compared it to my times and reckoned I would finish in the top 200/250, so i positioned myself around that position...of course 200 of the people ahead of me were walkers or joggers and i spent the whole first half mile running on the grass trying to get into a running groove swirving around people...insane. Probably my own fault, but c'est la vie!!!

Bring on the Frank Duffy...I'll be at the front on the start line!!!!!! :-)

Domer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

The first thing i noticed in the 5 mile challenge was the amount of runners i didnt regonise. So I went straight for the start line, just made sure I didnt get in the way of Peter Matthews, as there was not way in hell I come go at his pace.

I remember running the gingle bells race 2 years ago in the park and my time was pushed back due to being stuck at the back of the start. Ian chaney was second in that race and he said what cost him was starting on the second line and the first line were all walkers, I think he lost by 5/6 seconds.

Another point just on times for the 5 miler, Peter Mooney is a good 25 minute 5 miler, being trying to break into the 24 minute mark. He's in good shape, but he ran 27 mins xx. So it was a slow race. Then again the 2005 verision was held on the hottest day of the year....1 extreme to another!

Advertisement