Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Registration - Pricey...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

louie, not all websites have ads on them
    If you a running a business on-line, .ie is a must to built-up your credibility.

only if your target audience is Irish. I doubt very few people outside of Ireland and maybe the UK are aware of what country .ie repesents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Well Digiweb hasn't really been doing too well in the hosting stakes against other Irish hosters and it is continuing to slowly lose market share. But other ISPs are nosediving (such as Esat) when it comes to the hosting business. The .ie ccTLD prices are artificially high and if IEDR did not compete with its resellers by being one of the biggest resellers itself, I think that the market for .ie would be a lot healthier.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'd prefer for IEDR to remain a reseller, for the neturality it offers. It's hardly much of a competitor by charging a few times more the price most resellers charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

regi wrote:
    if you believe in the idea of managed registries.

The problem is defining the lines of what is managed ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I'd have to agree with cgarvey - its not really competing at the prices they charge.

blacknight, what's your preferred boundaries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Ideally, the IEDR would pass all management to the registrars, adopt an accredited registrar instead of 'reseller' model and fully automate the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ideally, the IEDR would pass all management to the registries, adopt an accredited registry instead of 'reseller' model and fully automate the process.
    It would be nice if this was implemented. The problem is that the legislation for .ie does not allow for accredited registrars. And shifting the onus of checking to the resellers/registrars would mean that the wonderful, and at times utterly incompetent, applications checkers in IEDR would lose their well paid jobs. I think that IEDR itself would have to be replaced if such a scheme was to be implemented because it would lose much of its excuses for existence. But it would eventually come down to arguing the merits of a "managed" ccTLD over an unmanaged ccTLD.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

regi wrote:
    blacknight, what's your preferred boundaries?

My boundaries aren't the issue.

The IEDR likes to tell us that they are a "managed" registry, however it's not very clear what they are managing at times, which is something that I've raised with them more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

As is typical in most industries, and most specifically in hosting, the definition of the word 'managed' is the issue :)

Advertisement