Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid lettuce question?

Options
  • 14-07-2006 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question but here goes...

I have been growing lettuce and salad leaves for a couple of months now and been using them for my lunch each day but now some of the plants have grown to about two feet tall. Is it still safe to eat the leaves from these?

The reason I ask is that young dandelion leaves are fine to eat but old leaves are mildly poisonous.

Anyone know?...I did say it was probably stupid, you were warned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mike_C

it is safe to eat but the question is do you really want to. it will be very coarse in comparison to young tender leaves. small amounts of lettuce should be set every 4-6 weeks to keep a constant supply of tasty leaves. I think if you blanche the dandelion leaves (cover with light proof container) for a few days b4 using gets rid of poison, but again the young leaves taste much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Sounds to me like your lettuce is 'bolting' or starting to set seed - if you let it, it can grow up to 4 or 5 feet high before producing the seed - looks kind of cool actually. Lettuce, and most veg, bolt when they are stressed, i.e. by reason of dry, hot weather, or simply because they have reached maturity and setting seeds is the next step in their life cycle.

They're perfectly okay to eat, but as already stated, probably not as nice as younger leaves. You still have time to sow a new batch, they'll germinate quickly in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cool, thanks for the info guys, yeah, considering I have them potted (I know, I know) they look like houseplants, perhaps I should move some of them indoors, put them in the corners and pluck off leaves and chew them when I have friends over.

They do lok pretty funny, up until recently I thought lettuce grew in plastic bags in supermarkets :)

Advertisement