Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Diploma in Veterinary Nursing

Options
  • 14-07-2006 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Has/Is anyone doing this course here or know anyone who has completed it?

I am quite interested in this and would like more info. I have downloaded it off the site but just looking for some firsthand info..

Thanks
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

doing veterinary myself and from what i can see the nurses are spending most of their time out of Belfield and out on placements. That doesnt suit all of them because theyre not getting enough time in UCD because theyre constantly being moved about from the vet hospital to outlying practices so they dont get to have as much fun as everyone else in UCD and dont really get to know the place/ students.
    But they do get loads of experience in the small animal clinic and are very popular with employers. However it depends what you are interested in also. Horses and Large Animal medicine is absolutely pathetic here, so if thats hat youre interested in pursuing I would suggest to look at other options before taking up a place for definite.
    I was offered Liverpool after the leaving cert and didnt take it up. Given that equine or bovine practice is what Id like to do, this is beginning to seem like a bad choice unless things change in The Vet College over the next 2 years (there are major staffing problems in large animal and almost all of the stables are empty)

As regards the library, its not particularly great. They get about one half of a short aisle dedicated to nursing books. However the facilities (if used), clinic and labs are excellent

Ive never known any nurse who wasnt employed in a matter of weeks, it seems to be very popular with employers. The only downside I can think of is that if you want to qualify quickly, at 3 years its probably longer than most VN courses?

The vet college is a very friendly place though, everyone knows everyone.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Thanks antSionnach for that!

I am too late to start it this year but I will be getting in as much experience in the next year to get myself on that course next Sept...

I thought the duration was for two years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

No im pretty sure the DipVN course is 3 years. Forgot to mention that nurses have to pay fees... Ive no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

Hey lads,

Im hoping to do this as a Mature Student in Sept 2007, so if you dont quite have the points ,theres always that option. Not much good if youre 18 I know..

God I hope I get in..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Why is there so many problems in Vet??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

How exactly do you go about applying directly to the college for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Chakar wrote:
    Why is there so many problems in Vet??

Same problems we have all over. Limited budgets (which is a problem for everyone) and top down management (which is a problem for any school that managements style doesn't suit).

Well a vet student could probably give you a better answer but from what I can gather there are staffing problems. Lecturer's have to teach, run the clinics, and find time to do research on top of that since promotions are based heavily on research. There was a lot in the Tribune about this last year and I don't think the matter's been resolved.

Also due to restructuring (which has absorben the Vet department into the College of Ag, Vet and Food Sciences) the vet degree so far failed to get recognition from the AMVA which means any graduates wishing to practice in the US have to for over something in the region of €5000 (and get on a waiting list) to sit exams over there. (Though I don't think that applies to vet nursing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

The vet college has been having serious problems for a good few years now and modularisation and restructuring certaintly haven't helped. But basically yes, the problems are caused by the same issues as everywhere else, management problems and money problems.

The fact there is no longer a Veterinary College in its own right is actually quite embarrassing on an international level and seen as something of a joke abroad, especially as its the only veterinary course on the island of Ireland. Add to that the fact the person in charge is from the old Agriculture department and not even a vet. This is actually seen as ridiculous to people in the profession here and abroad. (not that I'm saying all the problems are down to one person or even caused by him in any way at all).

There are major staffing issues and what prettymonster said about promotion problems is true. Clinicians cannot be expected to practice veterinary, lecture and do a sizable amount of research. Over the last couple of years many top class, highly regarded members of the profession who were working in the college have chosen to leave leaving many vital positions vacant.

Most problems are indeed with the large animal side of things. For about two months last year there was no equine surgeon. That is absolutely incredible! Basically for that time, no horses could be admitted that required more than basic treatments and final year students who had equine rotations at this time had a very poor experience. Things did improve on this front last year though I don't know how they are now.

I suppose part of the problem for farm animals is that farmers are often reluctant to bring animals all the way to dublin for treatments they really can't afford. Dublin is not really a convenient location for a large animal clinic!

Also, it seems as if ucd wants the veterinary hospital to make money, like a business but this really isn't possible. Few if any university veterinary hospitals worldwide actually make any money.

About the nursing diploma - I don't know all the details but it is definitely three years long and fees have to be paid. Nurses spend only a few blocks of time in the veterinary college (about 3 weeks at a time I think). They must also have a veterinary practice to work in for the rest of the time in order to do the course. They are paid for this work outside the college - it is a job.

Phone the college and ask to speak to somebody for more information about the course and how to apply. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

theres a vet nursing course in st johns central college cork also

Advertisement