Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving on hard shoulder of motorway??

Options
  • 14-07-2006 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I here people saying that its a nightmare now that you can't drive on the hard shoulder to let cars pass e.g. if your a truck or a car pulling a trailer etc. ? but where does it say you can't? the rules of the road say

you cant Drive on the hard shoulder on a motorway, in which case you just use the over taking lane?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

The Overtaking lane, much as anyone may disagree is now a traffic lane. The volume of traffic on the M50 requires people to drive in it.

The only problem is (for example) I was stuck behind a lorry creeping past the outside lane when he could have done an additional 15km/h. It was so annoying, neither lane was doing the speed limit and I could see a clear road ahead.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isn't there a thread already discussing this issue?
    Anyhow, if you are on a motorway or dual carriageway there shouldn't be a need to drive on the hard shoulder.
    As for single lane roads, driving on a hard shoulder (or even pulling over to let someone overtake) is dangerous for the following:-
    * increased risk of punctures from roadside debris
    * increased risk of incident from a car pulling out of a blind entrance
    * increased risk of incident with pedestrian or cyclist
    * increased risk of incident with an animal
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

that maybe true kbannon but the rule says motorway and not national road

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

layke wrote:
    I was stuck behind a lorry creeping past the outside lane when he could have done an additional 15km/h. It was so annoying, neither lane was doing the speed limit and I could see a clear road ahead.
    Hang on, when you say he could have done another 15km/h, you mean he wasnt at the speed limit or he could safely have done another 15km/h in your eyes, or he was 15km/h below his speed limit?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

that maybe true kbannon but the rule says motorway and not national road
    Im aware of this - I was just explaining the situation a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God almighty. Does'nt anyone know the rulez?

Mike.

Advertisement