Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No hot water from shower

Options
  • 14-07-2006 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help here. Our water was shut down recently for 'essential maintenance' by the county council and since it was switched back on, I've lost all hot water coming from the showerbox. I'm pretty sure it's an airlock issue as all the taps were affected but I managed to fix, however I can't fix the shower.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated before I call in the plumber!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm guessing its a mains water fed shower? If so, the normal way to free airlocks from them is set the 3 position temp setting to cold and turn the multi position dial to 10 (Hot)...then cycle the multi position dial 5-6 times from 10 to zero and back to 10 and that should clear any airlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'm guessing its a mains water fed shower? If so, the normal way to free airlocks from them is set the 3 position temp setting to cold and turn the multi position dial to 10 (Hot)...then cycle the multi position dial 5-6 times from 10 to zero and back to 10 and that should clear any airlocks.

I'm not sure what a mains water fed shower is, apologies for my ignorance. My shower only has a single dial, ranging from cold to hot (turning clockwise). I tried setting it a quarter up from cold, then positiong the dial to hot and back to zero as you have instructed but to avail of no success. Am I doing it wrong for this type of shower.

In any case, thanks for your response so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ADSLUSER wrote:
    I'm not sure what a mains water fed shower is, apologies for my ignorance.
    This means that the water feed to your shower is coming straight from the rising main. - The mains water pipe will normally enter the house and the kitchen sink is usually the first connection off it and then the washing machine. The pipe will go to the attic to fill the storage tank and its normally there you will see a connection from it to the shower.

If you are not sure switch the shower on and turn on the washing machine set to fill with cold water or even just run the kitchen cold tap. If there is a reduction in the water power/pressure in the shower then that indicates that its connected to the mains supply

muffler wrote:

If you are not sure switch the shower on and turn on the washing machine set to fill with cold water or even just run the kitchen cold tap. If there is a reduction in the water power/pressure in the shower then that indicates that its connected to the mains supply
    that'll do it alright....if the missus is annoying me, then when she gets in the shower, I "accidentally" switch on the cold water kitchen tap....:cool:

Lex Luthor wrote:
    that'll do it alright....if the missus is annoying me, then when she gets in the shower, I "accidentally" switch on the cold water kitchen tap....:cool:
    Well if she didnt get any of the sun she will be red after getting out of the shower :D

I shouldn't joke about it as it happened me a couple of times and "she who must be obeyed" had the washing machine on downstairs - damn near scalded the muff of muffler. :mad: I could have ended up having the user name...... ler :eek:

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    This means that the water feed to your shower is coming straight from the rising main. - The mains water pipe will normally enter the house and the kitchen sink is usually the first connection off it and then the washing machine. The pipe will go to the attic to fill the storage tank and its normally there you will see a connection from it to the shower.

Yes, it looks like the water feed to my shower is coming straight from the rising main. I have tried the solution from Lex Luthor many times now but unforunately it is not working. In fact, when I switch the dial to hot only, I get very little water pressure at all. Looks like I have a very bad airlock I cannot get rid of. Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

ADSLUSER wrote:
    Yes, it looks like the water feed to my shower is coming straight from the rising main. I have tried the solution from Lex Luthor many times now but unforunately it is not working. In fact, when I switch the dial to hot only, I get very little water pressure at all. Looks like I have a very bad airlock I cannot get rid of. Any other ideas?
    Might be a BLOCKAGE on the Shower filter..what make of shower is it?

ADSLUSER wrote:
    That can be normal for the water pressure to almost trickle out when at the fully hot poisition. Check the filter for blockage as mentioned...

Can you tell us if the unit has a low pressure indicator?

Failing that, the heating element is probably failed.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    That can be normal for the water pressure to almost trickle out when at the fully hot poisition. Check the filter for blockage as mentioned...

Can you tell us if the unit has a low pressure indicator?

Failing that, the heating element is probably failed.

In the past, when I set the dial to the fully hot position, plenty of hot water flows but now it's so weak, the water doesn't even trickle down, it kinda just runs downs the shower head if you know what mean.

Another stupid question but where is the filter located? Is this in the shower head?

I forgot to mention it's a Mira 88 shower - that's what it says on the shower dial. Hope this helps. I can take a photo if that helps?

• Advertisement

ADSLUSER wrote:
    I can take a photo if that helps?
    Yes that would be crucial providing there's a female in the shower at the same time :D

seriously, Im not an expert on these things but it could possibly be your thermostat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

How? where do you check the filter?

ADSLUSER wrote:
    I forgot to mention it's a Mira 88 shower - that's what it says on the shower dial. Hope this helps. I can take a photo if that helps?

Here's a pic of the shower dial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Do yourself a favour and get a plumber in.

pipers wrote:
    Do yourself a favour and get a plumber in.

Looks like I might have to do that but hoping I could fix it my sell. Don't have that kind of dosh to spend but may have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

ADSLUSER,

Not sure if you managed to fix your shower yet?

Here’s my experience….

I had the same problem with my Triton shower, no water coming out, unit making a hoover noise!.

Was told by Triton to turn temp to COLD & let the shower hose hang down, then turn it on. I tried it a few times for 10secs or so but it didn't work.

Checked on the web for the manual, opened the shower unit up (after switching the electricity off 1st), cleaned the filter & opened the BLEED screw. A small bit of air came out.
    Put it all back together.

Set temp to COLD, let shower hose hang down. Let the shower run for 30secs... and presto!
    Hope this is of some help

LeNNoX wrote:
    ADSLUSER,

Not sure if you managed to fix your shower yet?

Here’s my experience….

I had the same problem with my Triton shower, no water coming out, unit making a hoover noise!.

Was told by Triton to turn temp to COLD & let the shower hose hang down, then turn it on. I tried it a few times for 10secs or so but it didn't work.

Checked on the web for the manual, opened the shower unit up (after switching the electricity off 1st), cleaned the filter & opened the BLEED screw. A small bit of air came out.
    Put it all back together.

Set temp to COLD, let shower hose hang down. Let the shower run for 30secs... and presto!
    Hope this is of some help
    Thx LeNNoX but unfortunatley my Shower is not an electric shower but just a bog standard one (see attached bitmap) from my previous posting but thx for your advice nevetheless.

I still haven't resolved the issue yet but plan to get a plumber in over the coming week or two. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

ADSLUSER,

I'm sure it'll be at least a week before a plumber gets out to you... they're always busy!

You should ring MiraShowers in the mean time, to see if they have any suggetions.

http://www.mirashowers.com/cgi-bin/contactmira.pl

Best of luck,
    LeNNoX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ajoebloggs

modern plant are the service agents in the rep ring them they can get a shower doc out to you

Advertisement