Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

troubles with ethernet print server on network

Options
  • 14-07-2006 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

TBH i think the troubles are more with my understanding of netwroking not the actual d-link dp-300u which seems to be a good bit of kit.
    Te problem is that all my pc's are set to automaticly assign ip's and subnets as they all go into a switch which goes into a router.
    However the d-link needs me to assign each pc to a specific ip/gateway to be able to see the print server - i have done ths and can print no hassle through the print server
    however it now means i cannot use the internet as i have had to change my tcp/ip conections for my LAN controller in netwrk connections in oder to see the printserver.

THe print server seems fully configurable either througyh psadmin 2.03 or control panel
    i am just not quite sure what i should be changing to have both internet and printing
    thanks for yer help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

TBH, This post is pretty confusing!
    What I think you have done is configured the Printer Server with a staic IP address but on a different address range to the clients on you LAN. Is this correct?
    However the d-link needs me to assign each pc to a specific ip/gateway to be able to see the print server - i have done ths and can print no hassle through the print server
    So whats the problem?

If you PC's on the LAN are using DHCP in, say, a scope of 192.168.1.30 - 192.168.1.50 with a DFG of 192.168.1.1 then simply make the Printer Server an address within the same range, but outside the scope e.g 192.168.1.250. The default gateway (to the internet) shouldn't matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yeah it doesnt seem like a difficult issue, but the post is quite confusing.

I think if you set your Printer to have a static ip on the range that your internet connection works off. You should be fine.

but again its very hard to understand the situation.

If you could post more information such as all the IP setting you would like to use

Start>Run>CMD
    Ipconfig/all

aswell as what the print server would like you to have, Im quite sure we can solve the problem for you.

GL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

jasperok wrote:
    Te problem is that all my pc's are set to automaticly assign ip's and subnets as they all go into a switch which goes into a router.
    Details, details! You'd have an answer by now if you posted the IP addresses you're talking about!

I agree with both azzeretti and Static M.e. The DP-300U defaults to 192.168.0.10. Your router is probabyusing the 192.168.1.x subnet. You can change the DP-300U to use a 192.168.1.something address by cicking on the Network tab on the DP-300U admin page (on a PC that's able to print, point the web browser at http://192.168.0.10). Leave the default gateway on the printer set to 0.0.0.0, and the netmask set to 255.255.255.0, and save the settings. You'll have to reset the PC back to DHCP, and then you should be all set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

ok it seems the problem was/is machine specific
    i have assigned the printserver 192.168.123.250 and i am able to install the printer on most pc's however when i go to install it on other pc's i get the error:
    unable to install printer, maybe you have misspelt printer name or it has lost connection with the server" which is strange as i can ping it no probs 2ms for all packets no loss and trying to install with one pc switched on at a time so its not like its getting hammered with requests.
    any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

ok now its really weird
    on some machines ai get that error and on others i get - "printer could not be installed operation could not be completed"......?

• Advertisement
Advertisement