Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.6 + engines and young people's insurance

Options
  • 14-07-2006 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi, sorry about the generic/typical insurance question, but I can't ind anyone to insure me on a 1.6 Honda Integra.

I was looking at 1.3 Civic's for ages but can't get the same value in a Civic as I can with an Integra (there are some great ones with low mileage for +/- €4k :D )

Quinn Direct will insure me on a 1.6 Alfa 156, on a 1.9 Passat TD red i etc all for less than €2k, but they just won't budge on a bog standard 1.6 Integra. Can anyone suggest anything?

22 male, 5 years Prov licence, 0 years NCB.

Please don't sneer, if it can't be done then so be it.
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

have you a policy with some1 at the moment on another car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you're under 25 and have a provisional. Integras are sports cars, you wont get insurance anywhere I reckon. Quinn wont insure anyone under 25 on a car with over 120bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

I got my Integra at 24 and the insurance with Quinn direct , It was €1500 the first time , even though it is the Dual Carb engine 105bhp i believe , they said it was classed as a performance car and that since it was a Jap imp the insurance was going to be higher . I had tried a few years before that in the same type of car and Got a big fat no ....Its the Provisonal License, one I had my full pretty much any car was possible. I thing u will have a tough time get insuranse in any of the imported Coupes ...such as Levin's , integra , civics any thing around the 1.6 size . best advice would be get the full license first and the try again.

It is possible on a provisional licence. Quinn will swap your policy from one car to another if you buy a new car(they are legaly obliged). But if your just looking for a fresh quote they will say "not till you are 25".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

hmmm interesting Idea....so what happens in the next year of insurance , do they have to continue insuring him or can they say he does not meet the criteria

• Advertisement

hehe, who knows :D I presume they will send out a renewal quote but I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

The problem with the cars your looking at is there all imports.The 1.6 carb or even FI integra is by no means a sports car but its loaded anyway for being an import.

The older EG civics 92-95 were practically the easiest car in the world to rob so there loaded even more!If you can stretch to a 96 irish 1.4 civic you may well get a reasonable quote.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ignition Course with Hibernian Insurance should sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Joeface wrote:
    hmmm interesting Idea....so what happens in the next year of insurance , do they have to continue insuring him or can they say he does not meet the criteria

This can happen. I am on a group insurance scheme, and I got quoted about €300 extra to upgrade from Alfa 156 1.6 to a BMW 330D for the year.

Luckily enough I thought I would double check, and specifically asked if they would renew the policy, and sure enough they said I would have to go elsewhere once the year was up. Thank God I checked, or I could have been in trouble come renewal time - pretty annoyed they didn't volunteer this information though.

@dahooligan - this isn't what you asked, but after 5 years you could have sat your test up to 5 times over by now. Even with an 18 month wait between each test you could have sat it three times. That's what I would concentrate on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 aldy05

I was thinking about getting an integra about a year ago and at that stage i had 1 year NC and was 19 and quinn direct gave me a fair enough quote for it cant remember what is was though. It was the dual carb integra. Apartently it depends a lot on where you like and if you are looking for a quote on those cars, so I've been told

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

Sparks400 wrote:
    Ignition Course with Hibernian Insurance should sort you out.
    that course is bullsh*t

Advertisement