Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build house

Options
  • 14-07-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi all
    I am in the later stages of planning permission and am currently looking into what type of structure i want to build. My house is a storey and a half and is around 2500sq ft in size.
    I am going down the direct labour route as I have alot of family in the trade and I trust them.
    At the time of our plans being drawn up I was looking at traditional build with blocks, however, the more I investigate the more I am convinced that this may not be the best approach. I have been reading about timber frame, poroton blocks and AAC blocks as alternatives.
    Can anyone out there give me advice on any of these structures and how they compare to traditional block in terms of u value, insulation, cost and if they are favourable with the direct labour route.
    Or is there another method of structure i am over looking that may be beneficial.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

wrong forum maybe?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Moved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've worked with poroton blocks (from an engineering point of view). They over decent heat insulation and are very easy to use (like lego blocks) very lite as well.

They are used alot across europe espically in Germany where they come from.

There is an Irish supplier. F.B.T supply them here. Ask for Wolfgang if you ring them. If you get a hold of him he'll tell you anything you need to know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are a number of companies out there who sell prefabricated timber framed structures that can be errected at a reasonable cost and quite quickly too. An austrian company started a venture with Coillte a while back- think the name is Griffner (they were in a court case with Cement Roadstone a while back over the CIF's advertising campaign- particularly the adds with "Concrete Built- is better built......")

http://www.griffnercoillte.ie/EN/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There was a discussion about timber frame houses here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

hi kearnsr
    I have visited the fbt site and their product seems very good. have you seen much of this type of build in this country?? they claim to have very good u values
    is it as easy as they say it is to erect ??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

smccarrick
    i have actually spoken to griffnercoillte and they are at the top end of the market, their structure looks very good but it is over our budget, do you know of any other companies that sell prefabricated timber framed structures that can be errected at a reasonable cost and quite quickly too??

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

and there's also the complete wood solution... http://www.goodwoodsolutions.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MR TR

Try IJM and Century

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

newbuild06 wrote:
    hi kearnsr
    I have visited the fbt site and their product seems very good. have you seen much of this type of build in this country?? they claim to have very good u values
    is it as easy as they say it is to erect ??

Sorry about the late reply.

In my office they are doing 3 big jobs with it. U values are good and its also eco friendly. Very easy to construct.

Engineering wise it seems to be just as good as normal blocks but its all done to a DIN (German) standard which makes direct comparison difficult.

I would recommend it

• Advertisement
Advertisement