Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Breath

• 14-07-2006 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, going unreg for this. Anyway I am going to be having my first proper kiss on Saturday, but I have a big problem. My breath is stinkin. I wash my teeth in the morning and in the night. But still it doesn't seem to be helping. I also use listerine mouthwash. I only cleaned my teeth about an hour ago and already my breath is stinkin. My tounge seems to be very white, I try brushing the stuff off it, but it makes a difference and comes back later on. I need advice urgently on this. Can anyone suggest what I can do to solve this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Buy some mento's before the date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Isn't it 90% of bad breath is caused by bacteria on the tongue? I know it's not pleasant brushing your tongue but you should try doing it every day as you'll never clean it in one go. I don't know if tooth decay can cause bad breath so you could get that checked out at a later stage. Some stinky breath originates in the stomach - lay off meat that day perhaps. The best mouthwash for bad breath isn't listerine but DENTYL PH
    It's brilliant stuff, think they sell just a travel size at the mo. in tescos and they might have it in boots, you swish it for 30 secs and gargle for 30 secs and it really really is good. Even with that horrible morning kitten breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There's loads of reasons for having bad breath. Constipation can even cause it as can diseases of the large intestines. If you are worried about it then go to the dentist or doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Also - if you have a rotten tooth, no amount of brushing will help, it will still smell. If you have a bad tooth, get it taken out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Brush at least twice daily, use mouthwash after meals and stuff, and carry a pack of gum with you around too. If that doesnt help, then your problem is prolly more serious, and you may need to be castrated as it is the only known cure.*

*may, or may not be in fact true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Just reiterating whats been said really, but do brush your tounge, thats where bad breath supposedly comes from, do it everyday after you brush your teeth, its not really that difficult or annoying or anything...once you dont shove the toothbrush right down your throat or anything! Mouthwash is always good, but only in conjunction with brushing otherwise its pointless. And i heard somewhere that you shouldnt chew chewing gum to improve your breath but use mints instead. Failing that, change your diet, different foods create different odours, meat being the worst apperantly, speaking as a vegetarian, theres absolutly nothing f*cking worse than kissing some girl and tasting meat off her...eugghhh! its horrible!

anyway there ya go, thats all I know in this subject.
    Maxwell wrote:
    Also - if you have a rotten tooth, no amount of brushing will help, it will still smell. If you have a bad tooth, get it taken out.

Somehow I think he might know if he had a rotten tooth... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

go the dentist or your gp they can diagnose and help ur problem

before/during the date,eat mints or get them listerine strips that dissolve in your mouth they are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OK, your mouth may not be the cause but...

General dental hygeine:

You should be flossing at least 4 times a week, no excuses like "it feels weird etc"

Mouthwashes containing alcohol (Listerine is one) can actually dry out the skin on the tongue and gums, and if you don't drink liquids to rehydrate the skin then bacteria can grow quite nicely. Strokesfan is right about Dentyl, it does not contain alcohol so can be used.

When brushing your teeth, also brush your gums (gently!)

Drink plenty of water during the day, it keeps you hydrated.

You can now buy tongue scrapers in most pharmacies.

Get a dental appointment, dentists are well used to advising on this.

Certain foods may trigger the problem. For me it's the sauces ued in Chinese and Thai food, so I make sure I brush, floss, gargle and rinse thoroughly afterwards. I also drink lots of water. It all helps.

If this white coating keeps reappearing and is very obvious then you may have an infection, perhaps oral candidiasis (Candida infection). This could occur if you are immunosuppressed. A dentist or doctor can manage that without too much fuss.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Before going to a dentist, just try changing your diet. Drinking 2L of water a day should get rid of the white stuff on your tongue. Eat plenty of fruit and veg; these help your skin (yes, there's skin on yer tongue too!). Natural yoghurt is said to help if bad breath is caused by stomach gasses.

If your worried about the kiss, maybe the two of yous could get some strong smelling food first to cover the bad breath (like pizza with some sort of spicy sauce), so at least both of you have strong breath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Diet? Fitness? Tooth decay? Next time you see your GP or dentist? Use mints until you get it sorted. I have a pink tongue and attribute that to working out hard and diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

Its been said earlier but I would'nt underestimate constipation.If your not regular at the moment laxatives are called for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not just constipation, make sure you're going regularly to the toilet.
    I had a friend whose breath was absolutely foul until he sorted out his toilet habits. Lots of fruit and fibre in your diet. Regular poos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

One thing that always causes bad breath for me is if I don't drink enough water. Drink it through out the day and don't let your mouth dry out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Brush at least twice daily, use mouthwash after meals and stuff, and carry a pack of gum with you around too. If that doesnt help, then your problem is prolly more serious, and you may need to be castrated as it is the only known cure.*

*may, or may not be in fact true
    lol

my suggestion is to start smoking... should cover up any unexplainable smell nicely with an explainable smell*

*i do not endorse the buying or selling of cigarettes....mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dental floss at least once a day. Use a teaspoon to scrape the crap off your tongue.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

esel wrote:
    Dental floss at least once a day. Use a teaspoon to scrape the crap off your tongue.
    Is that really a good idea? The teaspoon bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Aard wrote:

Yeah, then you can fling the said "crap" across the room pee-flinging style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aard wrote:
    I brush my tongue when I brush my teeth and it feels nice afterwards.

Irish Grumpy, your castration and tongue fluff flinging theories are probably more suited to the Irish Skeptics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I brush my tongue too... but I don't floss nearly as much as I should. *goes and flosses*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry - No answers here just a question. How do you know you have bad breath?? I'm always terrified of it but I don't know how to check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dory11 wrote:
    Sorry - No answers here just a question. How do you know you have bad breath?? I'm always terrified of it but I don't know how to check!
    Well generally because you can taste it - you know when you wake in the morning and your mouth tastes like crap? That's a good indicator that your breath is terrible too :)

If you're not sure, you can always ask a trusted impartial person to check for you - family and good friends are alway good for telling you the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The flossing might be important.

One alternative to mouth wash is salty water - about a sachet in a half glass of water. Rinse, gargle, repeat.
    Aard wrote:
    If your worried about the kiss, maybe the two of yous could get some strong smelling food first to cover the bad breath (like pizza with some sort of spicy sauce), so at least both of you have strong breath.
    Girl "Hey, you taste of cheese and onion sandwiches"
    Boy "Well whos fault is that?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dory11 wrote:
    Lick the back of your hand. Let it dry. Smell hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

seamus wrote:
    Well generally because you can taste it - you know when you wake in the morning and your mouth tastes like crap? That's a good indicator that your breath is terrible too :)

Actually no, having a bad taste in your mouth and having bad breath are different. If you have a lousy taste, your breath may not actually be bad and most of the time it isn't (they're caused by different things). You'll definately know if your breath is bad if someone has to say it to you :) but if you want to check on your own, then rub your finger off the very back of your tongue (near the start of your throat) and then wait for the saliva to dry off. Then sniff and voila! Lovely thought isn't it?!

Advertisement