Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing: SDSL [silicon republic - Colt]

Options
  • 14-07-2006 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Colt's Gary Keogh bemoans the lack of SDSL in Ireland in his SR interview
    One of our biggest frustrations is that we have a product and we can’t launch it in Ireland. There’s a lot of noise about broadband that makes it very difficult for the buyer to decide. We can deliver voice and data requirements to an SME over a single pipe. Gone are the days of having 15 telephone lines and a couple of fax lines. But to do that, I need a different type of broadband: SDSL....

I suppose the lack of decent SDSL offers in Ireland is en parallel to the hobbled ADSL rollpout: With residential users the incumbent, unchecked by a willingly castrated and incompetent regulator, delayed ADSL roll-out to keep on to lucrative dial-up profits – on the commercial side, the high leased line profits have to be defended from erosion by SDSL offers.

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Leap/Magnet does SDSL. I'm guessing from this that Colt are planning to do it as well. Leap's SDSL is uncontended leased line grade so it's not cheap but a lot cheaper than eircom's leased lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Blaster99 wrote:
    Leap/Magnet does SDSL. I'm guessing from this that Colt are planning to do it as well. Leap's SDSL is uncontended leased line grade so it's not cheap but a lot cheaper than eircom's leased lines.

BT have 'allegedly' offered SDSL for the past 2 or 3 years from their 40 unbundled exchanges.

Colt are in the LLU talks with a sort of 'sort it out and we will unbuble ' position . The above statement is a public iteration of this , thats all. I would guess that Colt will only unbundle within Dublin anyway.

SDSL is old hat in the main cities outside Dublin compared to the eNet fibre product . It has missed the boat as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

SDSL is old hat in the main cities outside Dublin compared to the eNet fibre product
    Both compliment each other. In cases where it is too expensive to lay fibre into a company and their monthly spend wouldn't justify it, SDSL is your man. The MAN's would then take the traffic from the local exchange back to Dublin.
    thegills

I see its use as a backup in cartain cases but would recommend eNet based fibre services normally . After all eNet will dig in to the premises unless its miles from the fibre. SDSL is capped at 2Mbits while fibre is ridiculously fast .

2Mbit SDSL has a space in there at €200 a month and 1 month usage per year out of 12 month ceiling .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yep I had SDSL from EsatBT as it was then from Raheen exchange when they first launched DSL in Limerick. A pig to convince them to give though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

thegills wrote:
    Both compliment each other.
    One advantage of SDSL is the fact that it works over longer line length than ADSL, which would have enabled a lot of Irish ISDN users (many of which think they are on broadband, as a Chamber of Commerce study recently remarked) to switch from the moon-priced per minute ISDN package or from overkill leased line packages they are currently on to a data-volume-based or unlimited package.
    As to pricing of SDLS elsewhere: A middle of the road German SDSL package costs from € 59 per month for 1 Gig volume 256Kbit/s up to unlimited 2Mbit/s for € 279 month. On the latter you can run serious business (and it actually gives uncontended performance of nearly 3 Mbit/s).

P.

unlimited 2Mbit/s for € 279 month. On the latter you can run serious business (and it actually gives uncontended performance of nearly 3 Mbit/s).

Why bother when you can get unlimited 5-10Mbits for around €600-€1000 a month and are allowed 95th percentile (you must not exceed the 5 or 10 mbits 95% of the time) pricing and burst to 100mbits in some cases.

In Ireland ....Yes.

Advertisement