Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake disc skimming

Options
  • 14-07-2006 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know anyone who does it? got some nice new wheels but the rust on the brake discs bring them down...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If you get them skimmed they will only skim the contact surface, not he outer edge !

The contact surface will clean off once driven !

Anyway Cylinder Head Engineering in Baldoyle will do it 01-8394516.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They will rust up again in a couple of days anyway, leave a car parked for a week and when you come back the disks will be covered in surface rust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

It's hardly worth your while discs are so cheap now, and when you factor in labour/ hastlle of removing them doing without the car while there getting skimmed , why not replace them with higher spec groved disc's?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Its not worth the hasstle or the danger when it comes to skimming brake discs.
    Buy a new set instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Thanks for the feedback, I have been thinking of getting some ceramic brakes, but don't fancy spending 4k on a set of brembos. I'll keep looking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

I replaced disc's on a few cars before all import's and it wasnt very expensive, Brembo's come with huge calipers ect. . probably over kill unless your doing a lot of track days/ drive like a manica (in which case advanced driving course would be a better place to spend!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Get a set of nice tarox grroved discs ! They look cool through the wheel !

I would avoid the drilled discs like the plaque unless the car comes that way from the factory. I had bad experiences with them on 3 cars I owned, they always cracked from the holes outwards, I reckon the manufacturers have a cheaper process !

Advertisement