Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning Outing.

Options
  • 14-07-2006 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I put on my freshly washed cammo on this morning:eek: and set off for the farm.
    Got their at day break and got these few in the pic in the attachment below.;)
    CZ 452 .22lr and Winchester Subsonic ammo.
    Enjoy.
    Keelan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am so jealous, what a beautiful day to be out

Did you call in the fox.

Can you give a run down of the technique you use Keelan as you seem quite successful with the fox.

I am going shooting fox in the mornin for the first time with the .223

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Couple of weeks ago, i got 2 lamb and duck killers, below in attachment.:)
    Keelan.

you're a machine how do you do it.

Do you stay in the one spot calling in the fox or are you on the move

Vegeta wrote:
    I am so jealous, what a beautiful day to be out

Did you call in the fox.

Can you give a run down of the technique you use Keelan as you seem quite successful with the fox.

I am going shooting fox in the mornin for the first time with the .223

Hi Vegeta,
    I was shooting some winged vermin on the ground, when Mr fox decided to put in an appereance and walked within 50 odd yards to me. I stoped it with a whistle, but its head kept moving up and down, so went for the boiler room(chest) and he droped, to my amazment.
    I amed for the heart and got him exactly where i aimed at.
    I think putting the bullet in the right organ makes a lot of difference.;)
    Keelan.

Vegeta wrote:
    you're a machine how do you do it.

Do you stay in the one spot calling in the fox or are you on the move

Those 2 particular foxes i got, were called in, by simply squeeking on the palm of my hand. One was in 1 feild and the other was in the other feild next to it.
    I was in one spot waiting and had to use a .22 as i was next to the farmers house and i did not want to wake him up.
    The 2 foxes in the pic took a lot of lambs and ducks, i was after them for a while.
    Amazing what a Winchester subsonic does with a Parker Hale Mod.;)
    Keelan.

• Advertisement

Yeah i am going out early tomorrow myself. I have zeroed the rifle and my god is it an accurate beast with 55gr ammo.

I'll bring a camera and let you know how it goes, hopefully i'll have some thing to report

keep up the good work.

Vegeta wrote:
    Yeah i am going out early tomorrow myself. I have zeroed the rifle and my god is it an accurate beast with 55gr ammo.

I'll bring a camera and let you know how it goes, hopefully i'll have some thing to report

keep up the good work.

Cheers Vegeta:)
    Best of luck for tommorow morning, hope you have succsess.
    Keelan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Vegeta wrote:

keep up the good work.

I spent all day sunday zeroing my rifle,could hit a euro at 50 metres,went out tuesday afternoon and missed every one of about ten shots at bunnies,i'm still down over it!!:o

Degsy wrote:
    I spent all day sunday zeroing my rifle,could hit a euro at 50 metres,went out tuesday afternoon and missed every one of about ten shots at bunnies,i'm still down over it!!:o

I know the feeling

I have wondered about this before. I think with a live target sometimes i rush a shot and miss it completely. Whereas when zeroing the rifle its a more calm environment.

Keelan seems to have it down anyway so we must ask him how he does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

on ebay i saw something you might like

it's for zeroing a sight but you bon't waste any ammo. it is a bullet shaped laser, you load it like normal and just align the sights to the dot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

whupass wrote:
    on ebay i saw something you might like

it's for zeroing a sight but you bon't waste any ammo. it is a bullet shaped laser, you load it like normal and just align the sights to the dot.

Its called a boresighter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

yeah one of those, wasn't cheap though

Degsy wrote:

Happens to us all. Including me, not as much now, as i first started out.
    Human nature.
    Frank.

Vegeta wrote:

Keelan seems to have it down anyway so we must ask him how he does it!

Main thing is try and keep as calm as possible, not easy i know, when your heart is jumping out your cage. Adrenalin, we all have it when its needed.
    I try and never rush a shot, too many missed experiences, so take my time and line up, squeeze, stop breathing, bang, pop.
    If your quarry gets away, so what, it will be their for another day.
    After a while, you will start to know when your ready.
    I try and aim for a hair on the animal, on the kill zone, this keeps it close.
    If you find the cross hairs leaving the target at all, due to buck fever, dont shoot.
    If you have practiced on the range enough, you should know your rifles let off point on the triger. It should be second nature, if you have practiced that is.
    Bi-pods help a lot, but they should not take over your shooting completely, as practising shooting from different postions, is recomeneded.;)
    Hope that helps a wee bit, just my experience and in no way a hard rule, everyone is different.
    Safe and happy and most important of all, humane shooting to all.
    Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

dessy wre you using a bench to zero not havin one one in de field might have a bearin(only messin)

Some bunnys yesterday morning, should keep me ferrets fed for a while.
    Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you not eat the rabbits Keelan?
    I think they are fantastic eating, and have a list of people wanting them off me.

Keelan wrote:
    Main thing is try and keep as calm as possible, not easy i know, when your heart is jumping out your cage. Adrenalin, we all have it when its needed.
    I try and never rush a shot, too many missed experiences, so take my time and line up, squeeze, stop breathing, bang, pop.
    If your quarry gets away, so what, it will be their for another day.
    After a while, you will start to know when your ready.
    I try and aim for a hair on the animal, on the kill zone, this keeps it close.
    If you find the cross hairs leaving the target at all, due to buck fever, dont shoot.
    If you have practiced on the range enough, you should know your rifles let off point on the triger. It should be second nature, if you have practiced that is.
    Bi-pods help a lot, but they should not take over your shooting completely, as practising shooting from different postions, is recomeneded.;)
    Hope that helps a wee bit, just my experience and in no way a hard rule, everyone is different.
    Safe and happy and most important of all, humane shooting to all.
    Keelan.

i think the aim small, miss small technique from enemy at the gates is the way to go.

Didn't meet fox yesterday morning, was out a bit late at 6.30, was up at 5.05 but my girlfriend decided to come and it took ages for her to get ready, only thing i shot was a grey crow from bout 180 yards.

Goin for a fox again tonight and bringing the camera, will let you know how it goes.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Do you not eat the rabbits Keelan?
    I think they are fantastic eating, and have a list of people wanting them off me.

Yes, i do indeed eat them, i have a half a freezer full of them, their lovely with different recepies. The ferrets get them too, i think a lot of my ferrets, they serve me well and disevere the best.;)
    Keelan.

Vegeta wrote:
    i think the aim small, miss small technique from enemy at the gates is the way to go.

Didn't meet fox yesterday morning, was out a bit late at 6.30, was up at 5.05 but my girlfriend decided to come and it took ages for her to get ready, only thing i shot was a grey crow from bout 180 yards.

Goin for a fox again tonight and bringing the camera, will let you know how it goes.

Best of luck for tonight.
    Keelan.

• Advertisement

well no foxies this weekend but maybe i'll get out again during the week.

Last night was a bit of a disaster anyway, the field i wanted to set up in had horses in it so I couldn't use it. Went to another spot and when i was using the caller the dogs in the area, bout half mile away, were going nuts so i stopped calling and headed home.

Next time!

maglite wrote:
    dessy wre you using a bench to zero not havin one one in de field might have a bearin(only messin)

Yeah and a sandbag!Its the excitement of drawing down on the target that can feck your shot up..your breathing accelerates and you know you havnt got long to take the shot..its a great feeling actually but not so great when you miss!!Allpart of the game though.Was out yesterday with my shotgun to my usual woodpigeon spot,i dont know if it was the heat or what but i barely saw any,they were probably all sitting in the shade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

They were all probably all on my patch Degsy !

I dont mean to brag, but I shot myself out yesterday.

I had to cull pigeons for a local farmer whose wheat crop was being decimated by wood pigeons.
    550 shells in two and a half hours, and lets just say that my hit ratio was very very good. :D:):D

End result was a very happy farmer and a giddy, yet tender Chopperdog!

I have a funny feeling that other shooters might be tailing me for the next while to see where I am sneaking off to.....;)

Chopperdog wrote:
    They were all probably all on my patch Degsy !

I dont mean to brag, but I shot myself out yesterday.

I had to cull pigeons for a local farmer whose wheat crop was being decimated by wood pigeons.
    550 shells in two and a half hours, and lets just say that my hit ratio was very very good. :D:):D

End result was a very happy farmer and a giddy, yet tender Chopperdog!

I have a funny feeling that other shooters might be tailing me for the next while to see where I am sneaking off to.....;)

HOLY SH1T!!!!!

550 shots, how may shotguns do you have, if you were just using the one it most have got pretty hot

Vegeta wrote:
    HOLY SH1T!!!!!

550 shots, how may shotguns do you have, if you were just using the one it most have got pretty hot

I only had one out with me yesterday.
    My fave, Bennelli M1 Super 90, 8 shot. She earned her keep yesterday.

And yes, I burned my fingers on the barrel a number of times and got a welt on my trigger finger from recoil battering.

Just one of those red letter days when everything went right, doubt if I will ever get it so good again. :(

Chopperdog wrote:
    I only had one out with me yesterday.
    My fave, Bennelli M1 Super 90, 8 shot. She earned her keep yesterday.

And yes, I burned my fingers on the barrel a number of times and got a welt on my trigger finger from recoil battering.

Just one of those red letter days when everything went right, doubt if I will ever get it so good again. :(

I am so jealous to be honest, we just don't have the crops down here for anything like that sort of shooting.

Okay chopper..where do you shoot?Actually,i must check out my other venue,not sure if he's cut his crop yet,it might be worth doing.Do you eat the pigeons?

Degsy,

I took the breasts of about 20 birds and will marinade then for about 5 days,
    Will slow roast them for about 25 mins and then finish them off on the barbeque.

It would have been impossible to pick all of the birds without tramping the uncut crop and so doing more damage to it than the pigeons were...kind of defeating the purpose of culling them in the first place!

Without giving too much away, I shot these birds on a farm roughly halfway between where your house is and where you met me a few weeks ago (as the crow would fly).

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

So the Pigeons are on wheat, that explains my wasted morning on barley yesterday.

• Advertisement

oh yeah rub it in guys with your wheat and barley. I aint got nothin like that

Vegeta shakes his fist in the general direction of the bogland that is Clare

Advertisement