Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning Outing.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Chopperdog wrote:
    Degsy,

I took the breasts of about 20 birds and will marinade then for about 5 days,
    Will slow roast them for about 25 mins and then finish them off on the barbeque.

It would have been impossible to pick all of the birds without tramping the uncut crop and so doing more damage to it than the pigeons were...kind of defeating the purpose of culling them in the first place!

Without giving too much away, I shot these birds on a farm roughly halfway between where your house is and where you met me a few weeks ago (as the crow would fly).

Hmm,i'll just drive by really slowly till i hear machine-gun-style shotgunning coming from a farm!I've a farm in garristown which i havnt been near in a couple of months but last year they were shooting the pigeons by the hundred.Good eatin' with those pigeon breasts yum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Degsy wrote:
    Hmm,i'll just drive by really slowly till i hear machine-gun-style shotgunning coming from a farm!I've a farm in garristown which i havnt been near in a couple of months but last year they were shooting the pigeons by the hundred.Good eatin' with those pigeon breasts yum!!

pigeon breast is indeed beautiful eatin. mmmmmmmm pigeon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What marinade you use,chopper?Personally i wouldnt roast them first,they can be a bit on the dry side.Just lash em on the barby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

Keelan wrote:
    I put on my freshly washed cammo on this morning:eek: and set off for the farm.
    Got their at day break and got these few in the pic in the attachment below.;)
    CZ 452 .22lr and Winchester Subsonic ammo.
    Enjoy.
    Keelan.

Not too well up on ammuntion: why would you chose subsonic ammo over high velocity? is it noise and is the killing power the same, judging by the piccies the 2nd qn is answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Whizzo wrote:
    Not too well up on ammuntion: why would you chose subsonic ammo over high velocity? is it noise and is the killing power the same, judging by the piccies the 2nd qn is answered!

.22lr rifle with moderator/silencer with subsonic ammo is generally for quiet work. Shooting rabbits close to farms or early in the morning when the crack of a rifle might disturb people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Vegeta wrote:
    .22lr rifle with moderator/silencer with subsonic ammo is generally for quiet work. Shooting rabbits close to farms or early in the morning when the crack of a rifle might disturb people

Exactly.;)
    Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

arent they more accurate at long ranges as well the bullet gives a bit of a wobble as it comes back through the sound barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So long as the bullet doesn't go transsonic (either sub to super or vice versa) between the crown of the barrel and the target, psitta, that shouldn't be a huge consideration really. Of course, if it does go transsonic between barrel and target, then slowing down the bullet to subsonic before leaving the gun would increase accuracy somewhat; but then, so would increasing the muzzle energy to push the range at which it goes subsonic out past the target.

Thing is; that's more to do with the bullet velocity and aerodynamic effects at the sonic barrier than to do with how accurate the actual rifle is, if you follow me - it's not proof that adding a moderator automatically makes a rifle more accurate.

Advertisement