Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on the World Cup Commentary

• 14-07-2006 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I know it may all be in the recent past now, but I was wondering what peoples' opinions are on the commentary/analysis during the word cup. Also, what positions would people place the channels in in terms of quality. Obviously, I’m talking about the 3 main channels here: RTE, BBC and ITV.

For consistency I would have to go with the BBC. Generally, I think they were fair in their analysis (even of England games) and the pundits had a good knowledge of the game and relaxed demeanours. Though, I have to say that I now despise Motson. He just wrecks my head. Unfortuanately, it appears as if Hanson has turned into a "Yes" man.
    In a world cup were few new stars emerged on the pitch Marcel Desailly was one that appeared off it. When I could understand him, I found him to be astute and free of BS - even when discussing France.

When they brought out the "A" team, it was RTE hands down. Brady, the most tactically aware, has really grown into his roll - and even manages a smile every now and then. Giles, solid as ever, knows his stuff. Dumphy is always good for a laugh, telling it like it is or some controversial/embarrassing moment. Bill is the rock they are all anchored to. I also have to take my hat off to Souness. Excellent stuff - as was Bill's comment "and we all thought you hated the Irish". Theses guys always share a joke and a laugh which is enjoyable to watch. However, the "B" team, with the exception of Irwin, was less impressive. I fear for the day when Giles and Bill retire. One more WC in them I hope!

ITV is Bottom of the barrel stuff. The commentary is ****E. Peter Brackley (or is that Clive Tilsley?) tries to hard to be the "thinking mans" commentator, but he fails miserably. When he and David Plete commentated together it was a solid humour free 90 minutes. The analysis from the panel was mindless, jingoistic drivel (it was like watching another game). Venables, hilariously parodied by Apres Match, is an idiot, albeit a happy one. Gullit is just odd, and laughs at things no one else does. And the others aren't worth mentioning. UTTER BOLLOX!

In order: RTE - first place. BBC - a close second. And, as it's my pole and because they were/are so bad, ITV don't deserve to be rated.

Best Station for the WC 41 votes

ITV
    0% 0 votes
    RTE
    2% 1 vote
    BBC
    82% 34 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    14% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i live in the Uk, so it was a choice of the beeb or itv.

personally, i like the bbc. they can be terribbly jingoistic, but then again, its what id expect from a national broadcaster.

over all, i think they have the better pundits, and im a big fan of linker as a host anyway.

but im always in favour of commentators making those never to be forgotten quotes such as 'and i wonder if the germans have a word for blitzkreig in their language' when they put about 8 goals past some easter european country about 10 years ago.
    classic stuff :)

what does annoy me is people who complain that certain stations dont shut up about their own nation (eg england) when watching an english commentator on an english station.
    and then constantly whinge and complain about it. jeez, a difference of opinion. wow-wee. switch channels or put on the radio or something. god, youd think someone was sticking a shotgun against their heads and making them drink carling they way some people go on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Have to be careful got banned last time I talked about the commentary

Well its RTE all the way for me, best panelists who would disagree with each other where the BBC and UTV only seem to hire "yes" men that agree with each other. Also the way the BBC acted after the England game was terrible, Shearer having a go at Ronaldo made sure that the press would run with that!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well its RTE all the way for me, best panelists who would disagree with each other where the BBC and UTV only seem to hire "yes" men that agree with each other. Also the way the BBC acted after the England game was terrible, Shearer having a go at Ronaldo made sure that the press would run with that!

yep, that shearer is a bad media mind chnaging demon all right.

had nothing to do with ronaldos play acting and bad sportsman ship.
    rest of the media missed it, but good old alan put them back on the path of righteousness.

i also disagree that the pundits on the BBC dont disagree with each other.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Have to be careful got banned last time I talked about the commentary
    luckily you never commented on the commentry, so you probably wont get banned this time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

I was quietly impressed with RTE's commentary during most games. As the OP
    said, the A team was good, the B team ...not so good.
    Souness was a good coup for the station, he was entertaining and clued in. I hope they bring him back if possible.

I found Ray Houghton to be extremley negative. I dont epect commentators to praise a crap game purely because they are covering it, but unless 3 goals were scored in the opening 5 mins, Houghton would start referring to the game as poor or boring and this would go on for the remainder of the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Going to have to be Atari Jaguar as Im in the US right now and had to put up with American commentators, bunch of pretenders. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

but what about the actual commentry?

Last game I watched on BCC was on about 2 days after the England opening game, cant remember who was playing but about 10 mins into the commentary team on the game said about how well the ref has been so far "except for the ref in the England game", with that I turned if off. Only time I switched over was when there was an ad in the RTE commentary and from what I seen they where all "yes" men and not really making any valid points

i have to say my favourite commentator at the moment is alan greene on 5 live.

classic example was him commentating on tunisa v saudi arabia, after about 30 minutes turned around to chris waddle and said the game was probably the most miserable and boring game hed ever seen.

at which point i think immediately tunisia equalised and chris waddle and told him to say it again and maybe theyd get some more goals.
    was a crap game though.

martin jol is bext. yeah for shure, theyre not very good....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Houghton hasn't a clue. Used to like Hamilton, but when he's alongside Houghton, just turn over. Like listening to the BBC when England aren't playing or John Motson isn't commentating. Always tuned in for the football analysis on RTE though, its the only one where ye can expect to watch a "live" argument. Brilliant tv.

ziggy67 wrote:
    But they aren't English stations- they are UK stations. As a Scotsman i reserve the right to moan about the way they go on about the English team.

I'm well aware that Scotland didn't qualify but whenever we do its the same story anyway.

ah yeah, but sure youre still living of that 2-1 win against holland in 74. or was it 78?
    cant recall.

but i dont disagree with you. i still think the beebs commentry is the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

i have to say my favourite commentator at the moment is alan greene on 5 live.

classic example was him commentating on tunisa v saudi arabia, after about 30 minutes turned around to chris waddle and said the game was probably the most miserable and boring game hed ever seen.

he says that during almost every game he commentates on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

rte's "a-team" of pundits were alot better i thought, esp. with souness added to the mix, there might have been 1 man too many, but it was good to watch.

if its irwin, houghtan, or the other randomers i wont watch, they're crap and have no personality.

itv were just "blah". bland and boring

BBC were the best for pundits, appart from shearer, boring fcuk. leo and o'neil were great, the 2 best of the whole thing imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

TBH I just kept it on mute most of the time and played music during the games. When I did have commentary on I'd choose the bbc as they didn't have idiots like that RTE guy who called Ukraine 'Dynamo Kiev' for a bit. When it came to analysis however I'd usually choose RTE as they weren't afraid of speaking their mind and having a bit of aggo (unlike BEEB and ITV analysts who were clearly just told to tow the party line).
    ah yeah, but sure youre still living of that 2-1 win against holland in 74. or was it 78?
    cant recall.

It was 3-2 in 1978. Archie Gemmills jinking goal was better than sex apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

DaBreno wrote:
    I found Ray Houghton to be extremley negative. I dont epect commentators to praise a crap game purely because they are covering it, but unless 3 goals were scored in the opening 5 mins, Houghton would start referring to the game as poor or boring and this would go on for the remainder of the match.

yeah, i meant to comment on this. only after it was mentioned by one of my mates did i then become aware of it. a dour scotsman! who would have thunk it ;)

also glad that no one appears to watch ITV. it will be a cold day in hell before i accept a woman anchor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Archie Gemmills jinking goal was better than sex apparently.
    :D
    Good stuff, haven't seen that film in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

DaBreno wrote:

Totally agree with you here, he is so negative its "unbelievable". I thought he was really annoying in the final.......he must have said "its a terrible game for a world cup final" about 5/6 bleedin times!

RTE defo gets my vote for the best commentary. It was funny because I actually looked forward to the half and full time commentary of most games as it was very entertaining.

Also Apres Match is great:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

ziggy67 wrote:
    Glasgow kiss coming your way for that Fanny!! :)

huzzah! sounds sexy.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

RTE by a landslide

BBC werent bad, but only watched them when RTE were on an ad break.

Atari Jaguar were third!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Have to agree with the general consensus that RTE were the best. They have the best studio analysis by a mile, even if it can get a bit negative at times. But they sure aint afraid to call a spade a spade and that's what you want to see. Their co-commentators on the live commentary weren't so good. Houghton and Trevor Steven didn't cut it. Souness however was a good addition to the squad. In the 'b-team' only Irwin comes out of it with any credit and even he is a bit dour. Collins is a poor presenter and would be no replacement for Billo. RTE better start the search because when the galacticos of Billo,Giles,Dunphy leave the scene they have nothing to replace them with (apart from Brady who's a bit younger)

The BBC are ok but not without fault. Lineker is an alright presenter, better than he gets credit for, but the problem with having the likes of Lineker and Shearer in the studio is that they have to be careful what they say and aren't always in a position to tell you what they really think. Which makes their opinion a bit watered down. At least they didn't have Trevor 'sleeping pill' Brooking in the commentary box. One listen to his voice and I fell the Zzzz coming on. It's amazing how they've now apparently converted Alan Hansen into an Englishman, such is his co-operation in toeing the party line these days. He barely stopped short of saying 'we' when England were playing. Truly remarkable considering he's a Scot.

Totally agree with other posters that ITV were abysmal. I like Clive Tyldesley as a commentator, always liked him doing the Champs Lge games. But their studio analysis is dire. Gabby as a presenter is ok, pleasing enough on the eye and she does her bit with professionalism (even if she is a woman :) )But their so-called analysts are easily the worst. Venables is like a cartoon character and I've no idea what he's on about half the time. As for Townsend and McCoist, you could replace that pair with Ant and Dec and I don't think anyone would notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ok if we're talking bout match running commentary its hard to call because it was all fairly shít to be honest, possibly RTE the best from the 3 but not by much. What is it with great players being shít at commentating? I cant stand Houghton or Lawerson (oh and Moran when doing CL is rubbish). Even Brady when he did matches in running (i dont think he did WC) he was poor, different story in studio though. In terms of HT/FT analysis RTE wins by a landslide. Dunphy and co are the winners there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RTÉ by miles

the commentary on the BBC and ITV never made me happy anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

BBC for me. I know people may like Dunphy cos he's a good laugh but in my opinion he was a very poor pundit this World Cup and makes me cringe far too much! Shearer was pretty dull but I quite liked Hansen and Wright, especially the banter that gets thrown around between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Shearer was pretty dull but I quite liked Hansen and Wright, especially the banter that gets thrown around between them

To be honest I dislike all of them. Shearer is a complete yes man, Hansen gets right up my nose with his idiotic jokes and remarks...and after Ian Wright applauding Gerrard for diving, its a friggin joke. Punch n judy show.

Advertisement