Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring back garden lawn

Options
  • 14-07-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've a half acre out back of the house in which I had my builder place three land drains as the ground was pretty soggy. Bob the builder has now finished his job so I was wondering if I should let the soil settle first or should I roll it now and try to even it out.

The garden was all hills and hollows beforehand but the builder managed to even most of it out. I don't want to go to the trouble of attempting to get the rest of it even now if I have to redo it in a couple of months - its a half acre after all.

Any thoughts as to when I should do the work and when I should re-seed the garden as the builder and his digger annihalated the grass that was there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Let the soil settle or sit fallow for approx 3 weeks.
    The soil disturbance may have brought perennial weed seeds to the surface, these should be allowed to germinate.
    If and when they germinate spray them off with a translocated herbicide.
    3 weeks later you could possibly seed the lawn.
    If you rush ahead and seed the lawn now, your new grass seedlings may have to compete with perennial weed seedlings. Plus there is virtually no rain to germinate grass seed at the moment.

Rolling a lawn is seldom the solution to any problem.
    In fact, it quite often creates compaction, causing lack of oxegen and nutrients to grass.
    You will not like to hear this but the addition of exta soil where needed and plenty of raking will sort out your hills and hollows

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I had a closer look at the ground today and it appears that I might be better off digging the whole lot over i.e. starting from scratch. Hard work I know but better to do it right from the start than have to redo it again next year.

Any idea where I can get some good grass seed that I plan to spread in September??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I had a closer look at the ground today and it appears that I might be better off digging the whole lot over i.e. starting from scratch. Hard work I know but better to do it right from the start than have to redo it again next year.

Any idea where I can get some good grass seed that I plan to spread in September??

Dont forget to get a sit on mower for all that grass seed your willing to sow.:D
    Any flower shop will do but remember get a spreader too,Makes for evenly distribution of sow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Snowbie wrote:
    Dont forget to get a sit on mower for all that grass seed your willing to sow.:D
    Any flower shop will do but remember get a spreader too,Makes for evenly distribution of sow.

Gee thanks for that.

Maybe you'll come out and help me now that your own is finished.

The Oul Lad told me yesterday that a mate of his is a landscaper. Wonder if he'd do me a good deal or would it be cheaper to do it myself?????

Advertisement