Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coverting attic to open space

Options
  • 14-07-2006 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I want to convert my attic to one big open space. Don't want to put any rooms or plumbing or anything like that up there. Literally all I want to do is floor it completely, move the water rank to a corner and remove all the attic joists etc. Possibly would consider a velux window maybe to keep it bright and airy. I already have lighting up there and have floored what parts I can myself already. The amount of free space at the moment is limited. there are timber joists running all over the place!! It's a standard 3 bed semi, so not huge. I just want to open up the space and make use of it. Any ideas of what kind of money would be involved. It's not a full conversion so would expect it not to be too expensive. Also, I'm in Clare, any recommendations on someone to quote/do the job?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

It depends how/when it was built - if they used prefab. trusses then you won't be able to convert it very easily, if at all, unless they used the special attic trusses (basically there's a big square for the "room" in these). If it's an older cut roof then you may be able to, but if you just board over the ceiling joists you'll almost certainly get loads of cracks in the ceiling - they weren't sized for any weight - and you'll have to be careful with lighting cables, etc.

I'd say to look at a "proper" conversion if possible, it's probably one of the few home improvements where you get your money back on selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Make sure you have plenty of support for the water tank. Also, planning permission may be required for a velux.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be honest, the work you want to do is the bulk of a full conversion, so its going to be almost the same. Its a 3 bed semi, so theres probably only one potenial room up there so why not go the whole way. What are you actually leaving out.

Advertisement