Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

getting a van?

Options
  • 14-07-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i have my b test soon an d amthinking of getting a van after i pass.
    am i right ion thinking i can legally drive some sort of van with this license?
    i would be thinking of a short wheel base transit type van or a hiace.

basically i would like it for moving music equipment around and a few other things.

has anyone any advice on a "starter" van,
    how much insurance i can expect to pay and so on.

i have 3yrs ncb on a motorbike and none on a car.

cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Buy a Hiace.

Check the reviews here:
    www.carsurvey.org

Best thing I ever did. Loading bays, commercial tax, 38 MPG ( and I'm running it veggie oil). Winner, all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

overdriver wrote:
    Buy a Hiace.

Check the reviews here:
    www.carsurvey.org

Best thing I ever did. Loading bays, commercial tax, 38 MPG ( and I'm running it veggie oil). Winner, all round.

We have a number of branded livery vans and once whilst one of our vans were in for servicing I was given an unmarked Hiace van. I have never had so many cold shoulders, dirty looks in my life. I really did feel like I was someone else. It was bloody awful and felt I belonged near a smoking fire.

From a driving point of view, very basic. terrible actually when compared to our Renault Trafics - great vans might be pricey as a starter though. But really recommend them. On a tight Budget, the Citroen Berlingo is absolutely terrific, reasonable comfort, a bit of power, can take a pallet and very frugal to run.

There is the van with no name, hiace fits the description and I'd wouldn't take one for nothing!!

I can't agree with you there, sorry. It's grand to drive - very user-friendly. Can't beat them for reliabilty. That CANNOT be said for the French vans.

Also DO NOT say you're moving musical equipment around - no-one will touch you with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Would you not need to give a valid reason for using the van when applying for insurance? Whats the insurance like pricewise on a kangoo/berlingo ~1.8 diesel, uncommercially insured?

You need to get creative with your job descrition if you're a professional musician. I know the ramifications of this, don't worry.

If you have a day job, tell them that's your occupation and that you cycle or have 4 large dogs or whatever.

it sucks, but for me, that's just the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thats good to know about the insurance v musical equipment thing.
    is there a reason it affects it?
    can you only get insurance if you have a van for commercial reasons?

how much would i be looking at budgeting for a reliable hiace?
    any ideas on insurance [24 / hopefully full license / dublin]

im not to worried about performance / handling / comfort etc,
    i have a bike for fun and just want a cheap reliable van for getting gear from a to b a couple of times a week.

You'll pick one up cheap enough. Go for condition over mileage, cos these things do big miles with no problems.

I'm a full-time musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The dubious image of the Hiace has been diluted in recent years, now that certain members of society have moved on to Transits and Kia Sorentos

colm_mcm wrote:
    The dubious image of the Hiace has been diluted in recent years, now that certain members of society have moved on to Transits and Kia Sorentos

the Hiace is too dear for them now, considering they really only buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

overdriver wrote:
    the Hiace is too dear for them now, considering they really only buy new.

Surely 10,000 can't be wrong.

There's no problem insuring a Berlingo or similar for non-commercial purposes. Some companies might be reluctant because although less common now, some chancers would buy 2 seater commercials (including SUVs) and go to elaborate lenghts to add rear seats. Illegal, tax fraud an dmost likely will lose cover in event of claim.

Berlingo's are great, expect to pay FC € 500-€ 600 or less (assuming FNCD applies).

• Advertisement

They do call them Citroen Barely-go's...

Our drummer's on his third one. no problems at all, but they're always in warrnty.

the keyboardist just gave back his Opel Combo van which was a bit troublesome. Nothing major, though.

subway wrote:
    hi,

i would be thinking of a short wheel base transit type van or a hiace.

cheers :)

It seems a Barely-go might be too small...

Advertisement