Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to get boyfriend for his 30th?

• 14-07-2006 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Was wondering if some of the men around could help me out here, my boyfriend's 30th birthday is coming up and I would really appreciate some suggestions of something to get him. We're together nearly 5 years and engaged since last year. He likes nothing better than a good long weekend (or longer if possible) away somewhere, we've been to places like Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris etc. already.
    We were talking about going away for his birthday and I said I'd book something but he said not to bother because we could do with the money at home, we have a house but we're still doing a few jobs to it and it's all €1000 here and €5000 there. I know he'd really love to go to New York or even somewhere like Rome but he said even if we got something for under €1000, thats still €1000 that would be better spent on the house. I was half thinking of telling him I'd booked a weekend in Ireland (he'd hate that!) and then when we're passing Shannon to say, "oh pull in here would you" but because it's his 30th it'll be on me and the only way I can afford it is to borrow it from the credit union but I know he hates borrowing, even though we've done enough of it over the last few years we're finally getting on top of all the loans now and he'd think of it as going backwards.
    The thing is, if we don't go away, what on earth will I get him? I'm inclined to splash the cash cos he's only going to be 30 once but he thinks it's no big deal (I'm only 24 so I wouldn't understand :) )
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭OrangeOranges

I'd have a general chat about the money situation first. ie should ye go away or not. How much is reasonable to spend. What you can afford and he will have to help some.

If ye are engaged surely its a case of "my money is your money" from now on anyways?

Whatever you get or go though. Make sure it involves a trip to anne summers at some stage!!!

To be honest that's all any boy really wants for his birthday!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

Clap clock...nobody should be without a clap clock...hours of endless fun...
    (Until the novelty wears off, which it did sooner than I thought...still, I'd go for the Clap Clock!)

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.do?productCode=PROCLO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mepink

Just think about his interests and what really makes him tick - it could be something really small, but as long as it is what interests him.

Too many people buy presents for others on the following basis:-

1. I like it, so he should
    2. This is the present that is cool to buy, i.e. the bungee jump present etc.

It sounds obvious, but just get him something that he really likes and all the better if you can share it.

The idea that particular birthdays have more relevance than others is also to blame - there is too much pressure on you to deliver and him to enjoy the present. Maybe keep some loot back for next year and get him something exciting then when he is least expecting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

daisychain wrote:
    I'm inclined to splash the cash cos he's only going to be 30 once but he thinks it's no big deal (I'm only 24 so I wouldn't understand :) )
    Any ideas?

I agree you dont understand.
    30 only once eh what ??? You're only ever one age once.

A weekend away to Europe will be cheaper than then NYC.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is there something that hed love to have at home that hes holding off getting because money is tight? Like the LCD tv suggestion? If you know of something, itd be something he will have and appreciate afterwards, and he cant say it was a waste. No point going away if hes going to be worried the whole time about how much its costing.

Oh and buy underwear (for you) as a fun present to brighten up his day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

seems as i don't see how this is a personal issue, i'm gonna say another woman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm gonna go with KatieK or #Elites, something semi-frivolous that he's held off the temptation of buying himself for the house. A layzeeboy or a big plasma telly or something of that kind...

And a trip to Agent Provocateur will always go down well with any man (perhaps helping christen the layzeeboy? ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

daisychain wrote:
    Was wondering if some of the men around could help me out here, my boyfriend's 30th birthday is coming up and I would really appreciate some suggestions of something to get him. We're together nearly 5 years and engaged since last year. He likes nothing better than a good long weekend (or longer if possible) away somewhere, we've been to places like Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris etc. already.
    We were talking about going away for his birthday and I said I'd book something but he said not to bother because we could do with the money at home, we have a house but we're still doing a few jobs to it and it's all €1000 here and €5000 there. I know he'd really love to go to New York or even somewhere like Rome but he said even if we got something for under €1000, thats still €1000 that would be better spent on the house. I was half thinking of telling him I'd booked a weekend in Ireland (he'd hate that!) and then when we're passing Shannon to say, "oh pull in here would you" but because it's his 30th it'll be on me and the only way I can afford it is to borrow it from the credit union but I know he hates borrowing, even though we've done enough of it over the last few years we're finally getting on top of all the loans now and he'd think of it as going backwards.
    The thing is, if we don't go away, what on earth will I get him? I'm inclined to splash the cash cos he's only going to be 30 once but he thinks it's no big deal (I'm only 24 so I wouldn't understand :) )
    Any ideas?
    I was in the same situation as yourself last May. Didn't want to bring him to anywhere in Ireland so i bought him a week in Sardinia, Italy & also to go to the Italian rally. Also as a pressie i bought him a days rallying in Monaghan which he absolutely loved cause were both Rally mad.

In other words i spent a fortune i was on a budget too like yourself,(in the middle of buying a house aswell) but i just couldn't stick to it. If you can't afford to bring him away then get him a really nice pressie. Also a meal out together will make it more special, don't be like me & blow a fortune that you know you can't afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭the corpo

i always spend stupid money on the birthday presents, even though i sooo can't afford it 8)

for my missus's 30th i got her an ipod, and a trip to lake como in italy (which was actually cheaper than the ipod!!!), and i know that what she remembers is the trip. she loves the ipod, but she was overwhelmed by the trip.

for her last birthday i did something altogether simpler, went to mypublisher.com and put together a hardback bound book of pictures of our time together and her family/friends, and it's been the best thing i've ever gotten her. and it's terribly affordable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take him to a nice hotel for a night.... and the big TV. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Go for a weekend in eastern Europe. Should work fairly cheapish. Plenty of great places to pick from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

a couple of days on a boat on the shannon.
    T.V.'s don't belong in the bedroom. Bedrooms are for sex, sleeping and occasionally talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I'd be inclined to go with the lazyboy and the lingerie...You really start to feel your age after 30 so the lazyboy would come in handy for him :D

Also, instead of new york take him out to Shanahans on the green, it's expensive but really nice and has an american vibe (Of course if he's a vegetarian then it's not the place to go)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A threesome with another girl would do the trick. No, I'm not joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Get him an afternoon of race car driving or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

30 nice presents (including, maybe, something saucy, like a striptease or something, or a little toy, or so...;-))...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 memyselfandi

If he is into Golf, book an expensive round for himself and his best mate (sorry, not you). Tell him to have a couple of pints on the way home but to be home early as you are taking him out. Then in the evening take him out for a really good steak, and a couple of drinks with the golf mate and his girlfried. Then seduce him on the way home and make mad passionate love to him somewhere you normaly wouldn't .. of course that lingerie mentioned would put the icing on the cake.

Advertisement